Thread: Dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Planing to create my own dual boot system. I have only two OS in the list. The first one is Windoiws 7. It is came pre-installed with my desktop. The second one is Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. It is a awesome OS that I use in my office. I want to dual boot the same. Now by default when you install Ubuntu you get the grub bootloader. I am trying to replace the same use EasyBCD to configure a dual boot system. I installed Ubuntu and when I use EasyBCD, none of my system is booting.

Do not use EasyBCD. Grub is far more better. Here is a simple way by which you can get a working dual boot system. First create 3 partition in your system. Among which two will be dedicated to the OS. You can assign 30 to 40GB to each based on your requirement. Keep a 10GB partition separate which will act as the SWAP space. This is the virtual memory dedicated to Ubuntu. Now first install Windows. Then install Ubuntu. Ubuntu installation will replace Windows bootloader and overwrite the same with Grub. On next boot you can see a menu which will give you listing of operating systems. Choose the one and hit enter.

Re: Dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes it would be better if you use Grub instead of any other bootloader. There is no need to make manual configuration. EasyBCD can give you a bootloader but it is a bit complicated and sometime it is not easy to configure multiple OS if you do not have indept knowledge how dual boot system works. While grub is pre-configured and works quiet nicely on its own.

Rajesh Shenoy Guest

Re: Dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the reply, me. As I had implied in my original post, I already have Ubuntu installed on my PC. It runs in its own partition with the Ext4 Jounaling File System. Wubi installs Ubuntu on NTFS which is not a very
    optimised scenario.

What I know about Ubuntu that it only uses grub. That is the reason EasyBCD is not respondig. There would be upgraded version of grub in coming time and you can try the same. I had tested EasyBCD before, and it looks has some issue with the configuration of two OS.