Thread: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Floppy drive driver issue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Floppy drive driver issue

I have a Windows 7 system. It came with the system pre-installed. Everything works fine except the floppy drive. I cannot access or format a floppy drive. It is a new one. It is working on a Windows XP desktop, but Windows 7 x64 is not reading it at all. It looks that this new OS has some issue with reading floppy disc. To ensure that everything is installed properly I had dual boot my system by installing Vista also. But still the floppy is not working. So this looks like a clear issue with the driver. My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H. What can I do to use floppy on it.

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Floppy drive driver issue

Whatever Windows 7 system I had seen does not come with floppy. They are outdated and because of which the new OS did not support it much. And above all you are having a 64bit operating system which makes it much more unstable. I have two system both have Windows 7 Enterprise x64 system. Now there is one way to install that. You can install it through Device Manager. Connect the floppy drive and then go in device manager. It will detect and ask for driver. Then try to provide only the 64bit edition driver or else it will not work.

Great to find that there are other users too who are facing the same kind of problem. I have a AMD motherboard with me. I had upgraded that and sold the old one. Now in the old there were new cables and connectors. There was a slot provided for floppy also. To flash bios the best method is through a floppy drive. The floppy looks to be connected. When I try to boot system and load the flash file the system fails to respond. My PC has Windows 7 64bit. The floppy is readable in Windows 7 but cannot modify the bios.

It mostly depends on the chipset. Many motherboard still has floppy connectors but if you are not having the right drivers for it, then it might not work. The issue lies with bootable keys that you use on the bios screen. My uncle wants the same thing. He has upgraded to Vista 64 bit from Windows XP and then floppy stopped working. Clean installation and putting thing back helped to get the old settings back. So do one thing, first try to find the drivers of floppy drive based on the chipset you are having.

I agree that some newer system keeps on loosing support for the floppy disc drive. It is still choice of linux system. You can perform a number of troubleshooting options through that. Windows 7 looks it does not really like floppy drives. I had fit one inside a usb enclosure and converted the same as a usb floppy drive. It only works if your motherboard bios support boot from usb or similar support.

It is working in my system. The floppy is working. I had just formatted one. In My Computer I can see floppy drive listed as A. I have some couple of old floppy diskettes. I had formatted a few by right clicking on them and it went quiet fine. I have to create some dos startup disk to troubleshoot windows. I am running Windows 7 x64 RTM version 7600. It still reads the old drivers. The driver which allows Windows 7 to access files on the drive is inside the chipset utility. And if you can find that then only you can use it.

I am getting constant errors. You are lucky that it is working in your system. I same windows 7 64 bit OS installed in my system. I had attached the floppy from a older system. It showed me message on the screen about some new hardware is found. But the installation failed. First on reboot I can see a drive listed as A but when I try to open it there is a error. Somehow after running drivers updates, windows update, the drive worked. I can access the floppy drive, but cannot format it. My friend has a Vista system. It is also a 64bit OS with Gigabyte motherboard and on that system the floppy work without issues.

I will advice you to surf Microsoft website for that. You can find some fix for that on it. There should be some update available that can allow use to run floppy on new OS. Yes floppy is not completely dead. It is important that you use the most compatible cable connection and a bit supported motherboard whos specification can clearly say that it will work with the floppy drive.

All issue lies with the driver only. Go on Device Manager and see you can find any new hardware with yellow exclamation mark. If that is available then it means the hardware will not at all work in your system. You have to run drivers update and then verify the setup. You can run some outdated drives on compatibility mode. There are certain floppy drives that comes in the market with usb connectivity. But accessing them on the boot mode need special bios support.

I am using msdos floppy from long time for fixing many windows issue. Recently I went to a client who owns a Vista 64bit OS. It was bit shocked to find that my floppy did not worked on it. This looks how motherboards are changing. Floppy will disappear from the market soon. Instead of that bios are capable of reading files from a CD disc. And the hardware is compatible with almost everything you have.

There are many bugs in Windows 7 related to floppy. I configure a lots of system for people. Now I have around 4 workstations. All of them have AMD processors installed. Two system has Windows Vista 32bit and other two has Windows Vista 64bit. Now one of them is upgraded to Windows 7 RC1. The floppy which is formatted in Vista system is found to be corrupted in this Windows 7. So this looks like to be some kind of OS bug. You cannot blame the hardware here. The motherboard might have some internal support to fun floppy but due to OS limitation you cannot do anything. I had tested many things here to make floppy work, but nothing helped. So whoever those facing issue of using floppy on Windows 7, might not succeed.

I too agree and Microsoft does not looks to be bother about the same. There is no information yet provided which might fix this. I had checked updates a tons of time, but nothing was found. I had worked on many pc, installing windows and drivers, but the only thing that failed is configuring the floppy on Windows 7 x64.

I had just done with installation of Windows 7 Home Premium. And I am getting a driver compatibility error I think with my system. I have a antivirus installed recently which has caused some drivers to not function properly. I am not really that techie to give you detailed information, but hope you people can figure out what I actually want.

Do one thing. Get fresh drivers. On the basis of your motherboard go to the official website and locate the drivers. That is the best place where you can find the right drivers which wil avoid those issues.