Thread: explorer.exe using 50% CPU time when idle

explorer.exe using 50% CPU time when idle

I am using Windows Vista on a desktop. Today it was in Hibernation mode for about 6 to 7 hours and when I came back and started working, I found that my explorer.exe is consuming about 50% of CPU resources. This computer was working fins since I assembled it about a year ago but the problem started just today itself after coming from hibernation for such a long time.

I kept Task manager opened on the screen with no other programs running in the background and left the pc for about 30 minutes. Still I found that explorer is using 50% of the CPU. Isn’t it irritating? I thought could be any virus problem hence ran the complete scan with my updated Norton antivirus but that dint found anything suspicious.

Can anyone here tell me what is the problem with my system ?

Yes, same thing

Yeah, me too have noticed such things on my Vista. Am having core 2 duo, where one core shows 50% usage by explorer.exe whereas other core allows me to operate fairly normally. Also, let me tell that I have two Administrator account on my system, and this problem happens on only one of them. When I check the same by logging into another one, it use to be normal usage.

I strongly doubt it is the User Profile issue. We should find out some workaround for the same.

It appears to be a corrupted ntuser.dat file

I tried to find out the root cause of this problem and heres what I found, ntuser.dat file. For testing the same I made a temporary user on my Vista computer and checked. I got CPU usage of just 2% with all start menu entries fine. Later I copied the user profiles from my first Admin account where my explorer.exe is eating up 50% of CPU to this new user profile and suddenly ntuser.dat file reached upto 50% CPU.

So, the problem is with User Profile itself. You can find out some tool to repair your user account or simply create a new user account and see if you can overwrite the same.

Re: explorer.exe using 50% CPU time when idle

Are you using any high definition wallpaper ? In my case it was Windows Vista 64bit OS where i was using Dreamscene (animated wallpaper). Later when i removed the same by switching to a static image wallpaper, i found that cpu usage goes straight to 0. You can give it a try.

Re: explorer.exe using 50% CPU time when idle

I had also same problems.i didn't find the exact solution on the net.So i rethought over that what i had some activities in 4 days before,cos' the problem
    had been continuening from 3-4 days earlier.I had installed driver pack 11.so i restored the system before this installed date.wow ! , everything was fine.