Thread: Vista Updates "Windows modules installer stopped working and closed"

Vista Updates "Windows modules installer stopped working and closed"

I have a Dell Desktop computer which is running on Windows Vista which came preinstalled with it. After using it for 6-7 months whenever I try to update the system via Windows update, then it simply hangs and wont complete at all. Some updates will hang at 20% while other will hang at 80% and there are some which wont update at all. Also when I click on cancel then nothing happens. Therefore I have to press the shut down button on the cpu to completely shut down the computer. Can anyone suggest me how do I keep my system updated? Thanks for any help

First of all you should be login as the administrator on your computer. After that click on Start button and then go into Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools. After that double click on Services and if required then put in the admin password for confirmation if it is prompted. After that right click on the "Windows Modules Installer" service and then go to its Properties. Now, you have to select the General Tab and the make sure that Startup type is Manual. Check now if the windows update are working properly without any hangs. If it is not then, incase if you have installed any antivirus or firewalls, then disable that and then try to the windows update. Hope one of this 2 method will definitely solve the case.