Thread: Vista VERY slow for 10 minutes after startup.

Vista VERY slow for 10 minutes after startup.

Facing a huge problem with brand new Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook running with Windows Vista Home Premium. I bought this laptop just abut a month ago and the OS came pre-installed as OEM. It was working fine from past week, my vista becomes unresponsive for about 10 to 15 minutes on every boot up.

Let me tell you that there is no third party software installed yet, infact there is only Operating system, Microsoft security and Office 2007 with Internet Explorer 7 web browser. And nothing else. But still it freezes for 15 minutes on every startup though I have disabled all these things from MsConfig > Startup.

I even disabled the Aero and Turned Off all other visual effects but that too dint helped in anyway. My system configs are as follows:
    Acer Aspire 5100 Notebook
    Vista Home Priemium
    1GB RAM
    80 GB HD
    Radeon ATI Xpress 1100 Graphics Card

Somebody please let me know what could be the problem and how can I fix it ? Thank you.

Well it is very difficult to tell what could be the problem by just reading your post. You need to do some workout for the same. Start by going to task manager and check which processes are consuming cpu during startup. Once we find the that culprit we can do something for it. As well as go to View and Add disk activity column. This will help us find which processes are thrashing the drives.

Other than this, I will suggest to better call Acer guys and tell them to fix it. As your laptop is still under warranty, you can get the service for free than why to waste our time and resources. If there would be any hardware problem than you cannot do anything yourself as it will break the warranty.

RE: Vista VERY slow for 10 minutes after startup.

Hey guys, me too with similar problem. I am using a self assembled desktop with 4GB RAM, Nvidia geforce 8800 GTx, intel Core2 Quad 2.66 processor and MSI P6n Sli Platinun mobo. Earlier I was using Windows Vista 32 bit and it was working fine until I installed Vista 64bit.

Now every time I start the machine, my mouse or keyboard starts working after 7 minutes of the startup. Could this be the driver’s problem ?

The problem actually seems to be with Vista itself because am struggling with the same issue on Acer laptop since a month. I tried various things to get it solved but nothing helped. Hence later I dual booted my computer with Linux and it works like a dream. Vista is just waste I guess. These are the things I have tried so far:

• Uninstalled unnecessary programs
    • Defraged hard drives (did a boot defrag)
    • Cleaned the registry
    • Defraged the registry
    • Got rid of all but necessary startup programs (about 9 running now)
    • Cleared the drives of all unnecessary files, temp data
    • Cleared the pagefile
    • Deleted hibernation file

The only thing left is to reinstall Vista but as it is OEM version I don’t want to do the same, also I don’t have time to waste.

If anyone of you got any working solution, please post it here as well. Thank you.

Yeah, it could be probably the drivers itself. As you guys have already tried so many things, I would like to suggest you all to just check your Motherboard manufacturer’s website for any update. Also search if there is any BIOS update and Video card driver update. Because these two are the ones that can create problems while startup.

• Meanwhile there is one more thing you can try out.
    • Just go to Statr > Run > Type MSCONFIG > Enter.
    • Go to Services Tab and check mark the option for “hide all microsoft services”
    • Now from the above list, uncheck these services: xaudio, vongo, stllsvr,roxmediad89, installdriver table manager, cyberlink background, cyberlink task.
    • Now go to Boot Tab and click on Advanced Option.
    • Select number of Processors 2 and select minimum Memory.

Now restart the computer and see if there is any improvement. If yet not, than I guess there is some problem with your x:\Windows\Prefetch folder.

Re: Vista VERY slow for 10 minutes after startup.

Created an account just to post the solution here (as this post was the first hit on google for me):

I've had a similar problem, I run a Toshiba Satelite L650 laptop with windows 7, and seemingly out of nowhere or perhaps after a windows update my laptop would lag up until 10 minutes after booting or waking up after sleep. After that everything works fine. Booting in safe mode doesn't produce the lag.

I've looked everywhere around on the internet, found several cases with exactly the same problem or similar problems, but no solution offered to them worked the slightest bit. I tried just about everything short of reinstalling windows. I found one forum post of someone who had the same problems, except that it DID persist in safe mode, and it turned out to be a HD problem. Running chkdsk /r solved the problem.

So bottom line: If you suddenly encounter hanging/lagging after waking up/booting for 10 mins after which the system runs completely normal, it could be a bad sector in one of the startup files. Disabling services / reinstalling windows can all work (or not), but the source may very well be a bad sector. Use chkdsk /r in the command prompt to repair the bad sectors.

Re: Vista VERY slow for 10 minutes after startup.

Well, this slowness of vista problem also occurs because of using more than one antivirus program running continously in the back. And due to the conflicts between those all antivirus there could be issues of "Logon" and "failure security". You could even get BSOD because different antivirus programs need their own software to work. So you should always use a single antivirus software in one machine only.