Thread: Vista shut down problem

Vista shut down problem

I am having two PCs at my home, one running with Vista Home Premium and other with Mac OS and both these systems are connected with Siemens Gigaset 555 WLAN dsl router. I have set the internet connection settings to be always on. Now there is no problem with my Mac pc but my Vista computer is just unable to shut down. It gets stuck at the shutdown window. The only way to shut it down is by hard press power button. Any help regarding the same ?

Re: Vista shut down problem

So what is related here to the router ? Is it like when you disconnect the router from the PC than it shuts down properly ? If not that there is nothing to do with the router.

As far as shutdown problem is concerned you should check the Event Viewer and windows log. This use to have pretty good info about the cause of problem. First sort the logs with the dates and check the latest or the time when you were trying to shutdown the system.

Another thing I can suggest you meanwhile is just remove all usb external devices from the PC while shutting it down. This can also cause problems to the OS shutting down process.

I was also facing the same problem and tried various troubleshooting. None of them worked. At last I tried calling Microsoft and came to know that the cause of the problem was my USBKey. Actually I use a USBkey as readyboost, when I removed the same there was no more problem in shutting down my computer. There was also a small problem with my motherboard chipset as it was not compatible for Vista 64 bit but that can be ignored. See if you get any help from this post.

Vista shut down problem

Hi,

I have a Vista computer at work that has a couple of problems which means it's completely useless, I work in tech support and I've never seen this before. I don't know how to fix it.

Problems:
    1. Monitor is just black screen (not just black, the monitor goes to sleep)
    2. Can't turn off the computer. I hold the power button and it turns 'off' but then 1 second after I let go of the button it's back up and running again. I can even unplug the power cable, plug it back in and the computer will start up again. I checked for wake-on-lan by unplugging the ethernet cable and it didn't change anything.

It is still under warranty so there's that option but that's often more of a hassle then fixing the thing.

Any ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Is this a laptop or desktop. If it is a desktop then you must hear a beep sound at the time of boot. The beep sound ensure that all hardware in your system is connected properly. Second do you see the bios screen atleast. If not then I will recommend you to show the same to service center. It looks there is some hardware issue with the drive. I can be due to ram or cpu failure.

Desktop.

There's no beep and no bios screen. It did work a couple weeks ago but then stopped working so I'm not sure how something could've unplugged itself.

I've just emailed the service center, just waiting on a reply on whether or not opening the case will void the warranty and whether I can get a replacement etc etc.

Thanks for the input :).