Thread: What's all this disk activity?

What's all this disk activity?

Its been just a week now with my new Lenovo 3000 laptop. It came pre-installed with windows Vista Home Premium. Now whenever I turn on the system and log in, after all applications are started and initialized, don’t know for what my HDD remains active for next 4 to 5 minutes. When I checked the performance monitor I got to know that quite huge number of reads and writes were going on in kernel.

As this is very frustrating action every time on startup, I tried turning this off but dint found the option. Can anyone tell me what is it all about and how can I turn this off ?

Thanks in advance.

RE: What's all this disk activity?

Lenovo has been a very good brand in past few years. Their systems comes with very good security features and hence I guess that the built in System Protection is making a Recovery Point automatically every time when you start the laptop and that is the read/write process you see. If you don’t want you can just turn off that feature and it wont be doing the same any more.

Re: What's all this disk activity?

In my Lenovo, it use to be the Superfetch that starts loading programs into memory for faster access and due to that I get situation like you on my system. So I guess it is the same in your case as well. You should check about the same.

I think you are correct dude. Yes I can see the Superfetch running on every startup, as you said. Is it creating the problem? I guess it could be the important part as it backups the registry. I also found huge read/write to System Volume Information. By the way, can I turn Off this Superfetch anyhow? Will it be safe?

According to my experience I don’t think Superfetch can be the issue in any way. According to me it should be SearchIndex probably but you don’t need to worry about this because it will stop once all your stored data is indexed.

hey guys, stop suspecting every process and features one by one. Just checkout this Process Monitor to see what is happening
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx