Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem with Vista - Windows Explorer keeps crashing

I have a problem with Vista - Windows Explorer keeps crashing

I have installed windows vista in my laptop, since installing it Windows Explorer keeps crashing after 10 to 15 minutes. I am not able to make out what's wrong, i have made clean installation of vista and i don't think there should be any issue as such. I don't even know if it is happening due to hardware or software issue. I have tried rebooting my system several times but no luck. I have checked about this issue and have come across number of people facing it but i haven't come across any effective solution to fix it. Some people had mentioned that reinstalling vista had helped them out but i doubt it would, as i have already made clean installation of vista. I will like to know if there is any other solution that i can try out to fix this, else ill better install xp again.

I have checked about it and have found zgtips.dll which is a shell extension to be cause of Windows Explorer crashes. In order to fix it you can try following below solution.
    • Go to start, type "CMD", right click on it and run it as administrator
    • Once you get a balc window opened type "regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\ZipGenius 6\zgtips.dll" /U" without quotes at the end and hit enter.
    • The above command will unregister shell extension and Windows Explorer should not crash from now.

Just try it out and let me know if you find it helping or not.

I am not aware of the above trick but i had faced same issue a month ago. Windows Explorer used to crash every now and then and i was quite fed up of it. Later i download and installed malwarebyte as suggested by my friend and ran a thorough scan. Malwarebyte had detected many malwares and spywares in my system and had cleared out them as well. Since than my system is running fine and Windows Explorer haven't crashed. If you haven't installed any antivirus in your system than install recommended one like Malwarebyte , run a thorough scan and see if that helps.

I am running in to similar issue after installing vista in my laptop. I never had any issue like this while running windows xp on it. I have already ran thorough scan quite a few times using Malwarebytes and have unregistered shell extension following the trick LaKisha has mentioned but no luck. I have installed very few applications by now, Is there anything i can try out further rather than simply reinstalling windows??? Any help regarding this issue will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: I have a problem with Vista - Windows Explorer keeps crashing

Dont listen to them, I have Vista and none of the programs you are running and I experience the same problem all the time. Vista is garbage I have yet to find a fix. Considering downgrading to XP, have had nothin but problems with vista and my toshiba is perfect. I seem to see it most running winamp. I have also ran malware finders spyware finders and any other fix software you can think of always comes back as fine but yet it still crashes.
    Last edited by A7N7G7E7L; 15-07-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Toshiba satellite L355-S7812

HI,
    Having the same problem for 11 months. Went thru 10 harddrives in 11 months: the last 3 months were westernDigita, Seagate and WesternDigital(2 year warranies each). The first 7 were referbs because I was in Saudi Arabia and thought problem was harddrive. anyhow, It crashed for months,
    at first no so often but increased in frequency until did it every 5 minutes over perion of the month. Ifound if I in thru safe mode it didnt crash when i it did with OS, this happened both with vista and windows 7 which I am trying now.NO orange light s ruled out power supply. Put table fan to keep it cool and cleaned fan so operated better. It was tested by 3 different shops
    2 of which were authorized Toshiba dealers. 2 weeks ago a Toshiba service center took the computer completely apart, checked everything andcleaned it and said nothing was wrong. But yesterday went a step beyond crashing and would not let me put an OS on either vista 32bit or Windows 7, kept giving bootloader not loaded. I went to Toshiba and got new Toshiba harddrive and at 3% of erasing new disk it crashed again? I had the dealer put windows 7 on the harddrive so that I could read my mail. I checked CMOS, Fan, everything.It doesnt sound like memory because it works in safemode. I believe this is a bios update problem with toshiba and harddrives, the creeps at one toshiba told me it he cant think of anything except the mother board.

Quote Originally Posted by fleart1 View Post
    Toshiba satellite L355-S7812

HI,
    Having the same problem for 11 months. Went thru 10 harddrives in 11 months: the last 3 months were westernDigita, Seagate and WesternDigital(2 year warranies each). The first 7 were referbs because I was in Saudi Arabia and thought problem was harddrive. anyhow, It crashed for months,
    at first no so often but increased in frequency until did it every 5 minutes over perion of the month. Ifound if I in thru safe mode it didnt crash when i it did with OS, this happened both with vista and windows 7 which I am trying now.NO orange light s ruled out power supply. Put table fan to keep it cool and cleaned fan so operated better. It was tested by 3 different shops
    2 of which were authorized Toshiba dealers. 2 weeks ago a Toshiba service center took the computer completely apart, checked everything andcleaned it and said nothing was wrong. But yesterday went a step beyond crashing and would not let me put an OS on either vista 32bit or Windows 7, kept giving bootloader not loaded. I went to Toshiba and got new Toshiba harddrive and at 3% of erasing new disk it crashed again? I had the dealer put windows 7 on the harddrive so that I could read my mail. I checked CMOS, Fan, everything.It doesnt sound like memory because it works in safemode. I believe this is a bios update problem with toshiba and harddrives, the creeps at one toshiba told me it he cant think of anything except the mother board.
    When it is crashing, does it outputs any blue screen error messages after a restart or power off? Are you still using the original AC-to-DC adapter that came with your laptop, an you try to plug out the battery and see if the laptop stops crashing or not. Since you already mentioned, that you require a bios update, then have you tried to perform the same on your laptop?

It has crashed with or without the battery and I got a new AD adapter in Thailand a year ago. It crashed with and without the battery with all the other harddrives. I would think that adapter could be the problem since it didnt start doing this until about a month after I bought the new adapter, but since he cant load the OS that cant be it.The last harddrive I took back this week gave the blue screen when crashing, the new harddrive does not give any blue screen, just shuts down. I don't know if it crashed for the repair shop, they just could not get the OS to load on the new Toshiba harddrive. The repair shop said the processor was in good shape and I think the clock rate is good too.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that there are no BIOS updates for this model yet.

Hi fleart1,

What do you mean by saying "clock rate". Which operating system are you trying to install in your laptop by the way? Have you checked if there is a fault with the hard drive cable or not, rather than the hard drive itself. Since the hard drive is newly bought, then you may be able to rma it and get it replaced. If the laptop starts in safe mode, then can you try to do a system restore and check as well.

I have a problem with Vista - Windows Explorer keeps crashing

By clock rate I mean the processor. I tried both Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 but neither will load. This is the 10th harddrive in 11 months. The people at Toshiba work center were able to load the OS to the harddrive so they say there is nothing wrong with the new drive. When I tried to remove partions and then scan and repair every sector on disk before loading both Vista and Windows 7 it crashed at 3% and said it would take31 hours, same as the other 10 harddrives except one only took 8 hours. That got me confused why so long.
    Anyhow, the problem was getting OS on the disk, and now that it is on the disk, the problem is the same crashing (In other words the new harddrive didn't do a thing to stop crashing). When I log on normally not in safe mode it crashes in 5 minutes. All of the other harddrives acted exactly the same for 4-6 weeks.
    The repair man checked it out and should have checked the harddrive cable, but I dont know for certain that he did. I know the first Toshiba center took the entire thing apart , cleaned it and then put back together and it still crashed. How do you know if the harddrive cable is bad and could there be some type of hardware virus? I dont understand how a bad cable could work in safe mode but not regular mode.

[QUOTE=fleart1;5628629]HI again, my computer is a laptop, does it even have a HD cable? It plugs directly into the mother board doesn't it? I attached the satellite specs
    Attached Files Attached Files

HI,
    This may sound weird but when I was in Saudi and 1 month after I bought this AC adapter from a northern Malaysia Chineese dealer when I was there at a computer shop, everything was fine. One day there was a mass mailing by the project director in Saudi and he warned about a virus going around that it had attacked his computer. This rebooting started about a week after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About 10 to 12 months ago I guess since all my harddrives...
    What type of virus except a harddware virus could do something like that? I bought all the updated Norton virus and downloaded all free spyware ie AVE etc.????
    Last edited by fleart1; 29-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Hi fleart1,

How many hard drives are connected in the laptop. Have you connected a new hard drive with an exisiting one, cause if the existing hard drive was infected then it may be possible for the new hard drive to also crash, since you mentioned that the system was infected by virus. Either ways, download Malwarebytes and install it and scan your laptop in safe mode, if it picks anything then immeditaly remove it, then restart and login in normal mode and check if the laptop is still crashing or not.

I downloaded and did full scan. It caught one file but when it restarted within 5 minutes it crashed. I am in safety again.

Quote Originally Posted by fleart1 View Post
    I downloaded and did full scan. It caught one file but when it restarted within 5 minutes it crashed. I am in safety again.
    You mean you are in safe mode again? Anyways, can you try to open Command Prompt by going to Start and then Run and type cmd, when a box appears type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will want to schedule itself to run at the next restart. Just answer yes and then restart to run the program. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

I don't think it is the harddrive because I have had so many. The closest to the problem so far has been the harddisk cable, but since this is a laptop it may be the motherboard. Every new disk has CRASHED... I really dont know the difference between safe mode and regular mode except that there are more DRIVERS. I have used both Vista 32 bit and now Windows 7 with different sets of drivers and both crash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast