Thread: Defragmentation in Windows Vista is useless

Defragmentation in Windows Vista is useless

I found Disk De-fragmentation in Windows Vista a piece of crap. It is very slow and takes long time to analyze the disk. I cannot find any better statistic about the disc also. Compared that the one I use in Windows XP was far more better. Somehow it looks that Microsoft must make the Disk Defragger more better.

That's right. It is not really best in gui, but it is quiet simple tool to arrange your data in proper manner. There are some third party software which are far more better in disk check and fixing a number of various issue. One of them in Diskeeper 2007. I am using this on my Vista system. It offers a number of new features in improving the system performance through different modes. If you are not happy with the defragmentation tool in Vista, I will recommend you to test this once.

Vista defrag help

Hi
    I'm new here so please pardon me if I don't foolow the right protocol in posting. :-) My question is what happens if I cancel a defrag in vista midway through? When it's running in the background and also if I'm running it manually? I don't leave my computer on unless I'm on it (what with power surges and stuff..) and with the vista defragmenter I can never know how much longer it'll keep going. So if I cancel midway defrag before it says it is finished or power off the computer not knowing it is running in the background, does it damage the HDD or mean corrupted files?

re: Defragmentation in Windows Vista is useless

There is no great impact when you cancel disk defragmentation. It just arranges the data in proper manner. And if you find it too long you can terminate it through log off or restart. There are some other tools also you can try to get a quick defrag process.

If Vista is always defragging, Is there anyway of stopping background defrag. I am getting freezes everyday, HP & MS can't fix it. I am not talking scheduled. Or maybe I misunderstood.

It is recommended that you defrag your system when it is idle. Depending on your data, the defragmentation tooks time. The higher the data the more longer it will take. Because the process consist of arranging all the data properly so that maximum disc space can be achieved.