Thread: Turn off the IndexService

Turn off the IndexService

I need some help to turn of IndexService in Vista. It takes a very long time to display the content of my hard drive. I want to turn it off so that it would be possible for me to view my files instantly. I had tried to find some third part tools which are capable of providing supported settings, but nothing really worked. Does anyone has some working solution for this. Thanks.

Go to Control Panel and then go in System and Maintenance. There you will find Administrative Tools. Open it and then launch Services. Inside that look for Windows Search. Just right click on the same and click on Properties. From here you can modify the startup type. You can set that on Automatic or Manual. By keeping it on Manual it will not work automatically when you use your system. You can start it afterwards when you want.

I had seen that in many systems Search Index makes the system to response very slow. I am not really sure how this actually puts a issue on the system output. But somehow disabling that can also make your system to perform slower. There can be some kind of disk usage tools that occupy your hard drive everytime when you are using your system. Just remove some applications and then check back.