Thread: Windows Vista poor performance on 4GB RAM

Windows Vista poor performance on 4GB RAM

My system has 4GB RAM and even after that I can see, Vista is working slow. It is not giving me the right output which I am expecting. I tried to fix the system by removing ample of things but nothing works here. I am having a Gigabyte G41 board, with 500GB Drive, a 1GB Nvidia GPU and 4GB RAM. 2 sticks of 2GB each. But this looks to be working really slow. First I was only having a 2GB RAM. Then I added a one more stick to improve my gaming performance. I need some help here in making my system to work faster.

Re: Windows Vista poor performance on 4GB RAM

You might have installed lots of application in your pc due to which you are getting that slow performance issue. It is essential that you must remove all those stuff which is not needed. Go in Control Panel > Uninstall Program and remove everything. Then run a good registry cleaner and check back.

That might help you little only. When you run a system cleaner it just wipes out unwanted files from your system. It is necessary that you must first checkout the cause of slow performance. The issue can lie with the hardware as well with the software. So it is essential to test the same first. There are few commands which you can run in cmd and find out the issue with hard drive or system files. The first commando is chkdsk. Run this in cmd. It will scan your system for bad sectors. And once found you have to replace your drive. Starting taking backup of your data. The second command is sfc /scannow. This is a system file checker tool that scans and fixes damage system files from your system. It is really effective if every system which is working slow or having problem with performance. If there are damage system files then sfc will prompt you for windows disc to replace the same. That will be more appropriate. If nothing worked then you can simply try to run a repair setup. But before that backup the data and then move ahead with repair setup.

There is a bootable tool called as Memtest. It is a free tool. Download and burn it on dvd. Then boot the system with memtest and run a full memory scan. The tools cans the ram and will provide a detail error log based on memory errors. If errors are detected try to change the slots and test back.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and click on Task Manager. Go to Performance and check the cpu ram usage. If the cpu usage is high then there are some background application which is causing the issue. It is necessary that you must remove unwanted applications from your system. You can simply go in Control panel, add remove program and one by one uninstall everything. Once those unnecessary files are wiped out your system performance will be improved automatically. That is one of the most best way to fix the issue. Another short thing that you can try back here is simply running system restore. It works really well. System restore helps you to restore your old system settings. I use this when last time my system failed to work properly. And the last thing I want to suggest that you must run a full antivirus scan under safe mode. Because if there is any infection then it will be detected and cleaned by the antivirus. Ample of time this kind of issues are only caused due to virus infection.

I think the problem her lies with virus infection due to which you are facing. You might have to format your pc and install windows back again. That might fix the issue. Just run a clean setup and that's all the issue will be resolved.

I got the same issue with Vista. I was having a good hardware configuration here but somehow the system was working slow. The issue was due to virus. I had used my friends external hard drive on my system which was having virus and it got installed in the system. Even after trying a number of things nothing worked. When I scanned the system with a different antivirus through bootable disc I found around 500 infections. It was cleaned the system was back to normal as it was. There are some free bootable antivirus scanner on the web which can help you to deal with the problem. You can just scan your system with that and test out. I think this is one of the easiest way to fix the problem. Download a good bootable antivirus from web and use it for scanning. If nothing worked then only the last option left is to format your pc completely and install vista from scratch. Which might be helpful.

That is the reason I always keep a disc image ready with me. The clone image here help me to fix the issue when the system is in problem. Windows is common affected by virus problems and to fix them is not easy. So just create a clone image by formatting and check back.