Thread: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

"This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

Something weird happened with my laptop and Vista suddenly. I bought this laptop about 18 months ago that came pre-loaded with Windows Vista. It was working good. Yesterday night when my work was over, I installed the windows update and left the system. Today morning when I started the laptop, I got a prompt saying

“The product activation code you entered is not valid”

I found the product keys on the back of my laptop on Certificate of Authenticity sticker. I put the same in the product key field but after few seconds of “Activating Windows” it came up with Black desktop with a message on the right bottom of my screen saying:

“Windows Vista (TM) / Build 6001 / This copy of Windows is not genuine”

How is that possible? This is the OEM product. How it cannot be genuine? Any help please?

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

updated:

I forgot to mention one thing. A month I go there was some hardware problem in my laptop hence I send it back to the service center where they did all softwares stuffs again. I think they re-installed the OS as well. Can that be the cause of this problem? But if they might have done something wrong, then I should have got the genuine advantage error right when I started the laptop for the first time, right ?

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

In this case I would suggest you not to tryout anything on your laptop. If the service center guys who have installed duplicate copy you might need to buy windows again. Simply call Microsoft on 800 number or Dell and explain them the problem. Tell that you have OEM version and also the product keys mentioned on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker but you getting the Genuine Advantage issue. Also let them know that the problem occurred when the laptop came back from the Service Center.