Thread: Vista won't connect internet through router

Vista won't connect internet though router

Two days ago I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista. Everything is fine except the internet connection. Actually I have 2 more systems at my home connected with router. Am trying to connect the this new laptop with the same but it wont get to internet. Note, am not able to access internet via router but can if connected to the modem directly.

Am sure there is no problem with the router because 2 PCs are already running with the same. Also settings are correct then what could be the problem ?

If anyone of you have idea what could be wrong, please help me fix this out. Thank you.

As far as I know there are many older model routers that wont meet all networking capabilities in Windows Vista. You need to find out whether your router is compatible with the new operating system. Meanwhile I would like to know whether you all other computers get IP Addresses from the DHCP server on the router? Have you set them to obtain their IP addresses automatically?

I have been through this problem a year ago when I bought and installed Vista. That time I was using NetGear RangeMax and system was unable to connect to the internet though it was working fine until I was using Windows XP. Tried various troubleshooting but nothing worked. Finally I thought to call up Netgear and ask them for help. They said that the one I was using was incompatible with Vista and there wasn’t any kind of patch or update that can fix it.

They also suggested to buy me NetGear RangeMax V2 if I need to use Vista. I don’t whether this was their marketing strategy or something but with the new router I was able to connect Vista’s internet with the same earlier settings.

So I think, its time for the new router for you as well.