Thread: Windows Backup Shadow Copy Error - 0x8004231F

Windows Backup Shadow Copy Error - 0x8004231F

While running Windows Vista backup, I got error 0x8004231F and it crashed. It happened for the first time. The full error is -- A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason: Insufficient storage available to create with the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data. As you can see the error is about some low disk space. But the place where I am copying the data has ample of storage. I am not able to find why the error appear.

Try to remove all the old backup settings and files. Then create a fresh one and then check back. I am sure the issue will be solved. It looks that this process is not replacing old backup files. It is just creating new one which is causing the failure. There can be issue with file permission also. If possible change the drive destination and then run the backup process. It will be automated.

I found the link which has set of information related to common backup problems. You can follow the list here and find the issue behind the same. I will recommend you to refer the link below. You might be able to get information on the list of things you can go for.

Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems

re: Windows Backup Shadow Copy Error - 0x8004231F

Hey,

Has anyone solved this issue? I know it was originally posted a while back. I have the same problem trying to backup a relative's Vista laptop to a virtually brand new 1TB external HD - It says there's no disc space!!!!!!! HD is formatted NTFS and virtually empty.

re: Windows Backup Shadow Copy Error - 0x8004231F