Thread: Some services won't start up (access denied)

Some services won't start up (access denied)

Hi, this is my Lenovo Thinkpad T61 running with Windows Vista Ultimate since past 4 months. Everything was going good but don’t know what went wrong suddenly my computer started behaving weird. After doing some troubleshooting I came to know that under services.msc, my Diagnostic policy and Network service are disabled. And when I tried to start the, system says “Access Denied”.

My computer is no more able to access internet. I opened command prompt and did ipconfig found that the IP address is still there. One more interesting part is that Ubuntu operating system that is running on VMware is still able to access internet without any problem but Vista cannot. The only fix I know to fix this is Re-installing Vista, as a final solution. But is there anything else apart from this ? Please help.

RE: Some services won't start up (access denied)

Which Antivirus are you using ? Hope, it is not Norton because when we scan our system, most of the time it creates such problem by stopping the SR. So, will suggest you to check if the problem gets resolved after disabling Norton, if not try uninstalling it as well. Alternatively you can also try to restore your system to any previous point where the internet was working fine.

Re: Some services won't start up (access denied)

I have read a solution regarding this somewhere, i don't remember it. The problem could have something to do with group policy on my computer "Local Service" not being established. We need to do "netsh command" under the CMD prompt to establish the "Local Service" group ( for the newbie I guess, many services belong to this group) existed.

I found out that I received an error because my group did. Probably good to check any way. Next, the thread, not sure if it was the same one fore mention, (I have been spending quit a bit of time trying to solve this problem with out crashing my computer. So fellow newbies beware!) I ran a pre-existing snap-in console "Comexp.msc" and checked the security settings for "my computer".

If needed I will go into more details about security settings for any that may need or want. But I prefer at this point you try looking into other threads on that subject if you are that new. Started this task because of frustration with vista. But, don't want to seem basis about software. Since the economy is bad, freely shared info to solve problems (whether good or bad) I think is the solution to many problems. Thanks for this form and community! Hope this thread helps.