Thread: Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3

Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3

Is it necessary to install LLTD Responder on Windows XP SP3. I am having around 4 computers on the network and all of them has Windows XP. There is a Vista machine which is the central machine to save all date. My network guy says that I will need to install LLTD responder on XP system and after that only Vista will be able to see the working XP systems in network map. Or else it will not work. I had not sure about the same. If it is necessary then from where I can find it. There is no way I can locate the download for the same. I had also tried to find the download on Windows Update.

If you are trying to access share files on the web then it is not required. It is not at all necessary to add it. A folder shared on Windows XP or Windows Vista, is visible and can be accessed on the network. It is also not complicated to move files from it. LLTD is just used to see the computers on the networks map. It will be visible. It is only used for that. If you are asking something about viewing the xp computers on network map then you have to download that from the below link and install it in your system.
    Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

Just install it. It is not all complicated. LLTD just puts the xp system on Vista network map. By default it does not comes in the OS and due to which you cannot see them. It is just related to network map only. While if you share any files on xp system then that will be visible. Network map is required for larger networks. If there are multiple systems, routers are connected. You can use this to find what which system is connected at what place. It is available on the official site for free download. There are some third party software available that does the same thing.

There is a hotfix available for the same that really works. You can find that through windows update. I am using a networking monitoring software. It is available for free on web. The best part of using that software is that you can get map of your network through IP address. This allows easy connectivity and system updates. It is not at all complicated to find a working solution for the same. If you need more detail then you must a software that offers you a completely detail with ip and other required information.

I am facing a bit weird issue. When I click on View full network map there only one system visible which is mine. Others are not. I had installed LLTD responder in it. It looks the service is not working due to which the systems are not appeared on the map. I am trying to troubleshoot the same but still there is no way to find a working option. I am looking for a good third party software that can really work. You had not mentioned the name of which tool you are using. If there is any advance networking monitoring software available then also it is more helpful.

I am facing issue with the gateway on Windows xp pc. There are 4 systems which are directly connected to a modem. There is no issue with the connectivity but somehow I a not able to use lltd responder here. A network map helps the users in the network to identify the connected computers. But it looks that some old xp system lack support for the same. While some system on XP SP3 are just much better. There is no complications with them. I am doubtful that still those will not work well with an older 98 system.

Re: Is the LLTD responder required on XP SP3

I am having issue with Vista network only. There are around 45 computers on the network. They are all on a common network in the entire building. The Vista systems are used on the to floor. I tried to create a network map to identify the type of connection. But somehow xp systems are not visible on it. I had installed a hotfix which added LLTD on the system. It looks to be working fine. There is no problem at all. It is a bit complicated to get a working solution that really works. I am finding this more complicated to use.

Just because of that problem I had removed Windows XP and installed it again. I thought the problem was with XP LLTD. But somehow there is a issue due to which improper updates cause the failure. I am not able to find a right working solution for the same. I had re-installed XP and updated the system. After running a complete update the WHS server is showing properly and there is no issue at all. I think this is one of the best way to resolve the issue instantly. Re-installing everything and putting everything from scratch is one of the best way to fix the problem.

I do not understand why people find LLTD so complicated. It is just a small utility that works in the backend. You can check in services whether it initiated or not. Because a number of time you have to start it and the only it works well. I am having around 5 XP system that are on the network. I found it a bit complicated to get working updates for the same. I am using a Cisco connection. Later on I checked in the services and things went back to normal. It is working fine.

LLTD not present in XP SP3

What about manual installation. Does that work. I had tried to do that but somehow got error and it failed. Also LLTD must appear in the network properties from where you can enable and disable the same. But it is still not listed. I am bit doubtful that it really appears in network properties or not.