Thread: Cannot connect to wireless Internet

Cannot connect to wireless Internet

I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook running with Windows Vista. I’m using this laptop since past 6 months and there was no problem. Today morning I upgraded it to Service Pack one. There was no problem during the upgrade process but since then this laptop is no more able to connect or find any wireless network. So far it was working with my home Linksys wireless network. But it cannot find the same any more.

I tried everything I know about, tried Turning On/Off wireless controller, updated all drivers including wireless adapters and many more but nothing helped. Can somebody please tell me what went wrong and how can I fix it? Many thanks.

RE: Cannot connect to wireless Internet

Hey, seems like you are not alone. Even am facing exactly the same problem since a week now and haven’t found any fix yet. In my case it is Toshiba Satellite A210 having Realtek RTL8187B wireless network adapter running with Windows Vista Home Premium. Best part here is the little network icon in the system tray says that “networks are available, click to connect” but when I click it says “Windows cannot find any wireless networks.” Isn’t it funny?

Everything was working fine until a week ago, unlike you I dint installed SP1 or anything but the network stopped working automatically one morning. I tried calling up Toshiba guys regarding the same but they were stumped too. Hope anyone can help us out with this.

Re: Cannot connect to wireless Internet

Did you guys ran Windows Update just before the problem started? If yes, then let me tell you that there was Realtek driver update recently offered by Windows update that has cause this problem with many more users and I guess you guys too installed it which resulted in this no network problem.

You can check this in the windows update log by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates. If it is there, simply uninstall the same and restart the system. See if you are able to access wireless network. I think you will be able to.

If still you get the problem than simply visit Realtek or your laptop’s manufacturer site and download the realteck driver, install it on your systems and problem will be solved for sure. .

Thank you very much for the help Scott2580. I think you were right. Yes there was an update installed for the realtek by windows update. As per your instructions I uninstall the same as well as restore my system to one month back. Guess what, now my wireless seems to be working fine. I dint needed to update the drivers. Thank you again.

I had a similar problem where my Vista network and sharing center was showing “Limited or no connectivity”. It use to be connected with my wireless network but wasn’t able to find it anymore. My driver version was dated May/08, I did a driver roll back and it put it at December 2007. Now it works fine. It sounds really strange for me, I mean, updated drivers are creating problems.