Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network icon says not connected but I am

Network icon says not connected but I am

I own a new dell laptop. The model number if Inspiron 1720. It has a wifi internet connection in it. I am having a local internet service. There is a model with wifi support in it. For the first few days the internet was working fine. There was no issue with the configuration. But after that the network connection drops. I can find a error icon in the task bar. There is a exclamation mark on it. I checked inside network and sharing center where it was mentioned that I am not connected to any network. I am still connected. The same internet is working fine at my neighbors place. Is anyone aware about the problem. I am not able to find any fix for the same.

Did you tried to restart your modem. There is a power button at the back side. Press it. The modem will turn off. Then wait for some time. Turn it on again. Once the modem is properly connected your windows will try to find appropriate settings to connect. Depending on your network settings it will either try to use your static ip or collect the same through DHCP. It is the only way you can access internet. If still it is not working then contact your isp and ask him to fix it.

Click on the tiny pc icon on the system tray. You can a find option called as troubleshoot connection. Click on it and wait back. It will scan the problem. Later on it will test your connection and give you a message at the end. You have to post that message here. You can also put the screenshot. If there is something mentioned about dns then you have to contact your isp and ask for other dns ip address. And if there is no internet access message then you have to change the modem. The modem is not active and it is unable to get a working connection. I got the same issue and after changing my modem things were working normal.

You said that you are getting the problem on your wifi adapter. Just to ensure that your internet is working properly connect the modem to the pc through Ethernet cable. It is widely available online and on many store at a very reasonable price. You can simply buy that and connect the modem with laptop. If your internet is fine then your system will get a active internet connection. The problem lies in the wifi. It can be with the pci wifi and with the modem wifi also. So update your systems drivers and then check once again. I hope that is going to work properly.

When you open network sharing center you can find on the left change network adapter settings. Click on that. You can see the lan connection. Right click on that and choose disable. Then wait for sometime. There will be a small check mark on the right bottom. Again go in network sharing and then go to adapter setting and right click on it. Choose enable. Wait for sometime and then check again. Everytime when you face a connection drop issue you can do this. It refreshes your lan settings and it is one of the quickest way to fix this kind of problems.

I am having a dell laptop. I bought it just a month ago. It took sometime to get a proper internet connection. When the connection was active the net connectivity fluctuates a lot. When ping any site I get request timeout message after a few time interval. And it is constant. I had contacted the ISP who said things are fine from his end. Later on my brother faced the same issue on his mobile. The internet was very slow. I took the laptop to dell support and found the lan connector was not proper.

Just update your NIC drivers. This kind of issues are common. There is nothing serious in that. Sometime there are new drivers available on the web which removes this connectivity failure problem. It is good for those who are having 2 lan adapter. They can atleast use the other port for internet. There are number of options that can help you here. Also on the modem there is a dsl light. If that is blinking or not constant then the problem lies with modem or with the isp.

I think this kind of problem appears due to windows update. Last time after update my display driver stopped working. I got that error after few seconds of system boot. I removed the update, and installed the driver back from scratch. It was fine. There was no issue at all. Windows Update is capable of generating number of bugs in Vista. If you are on Vista it is recommended install only those updates which are required. Do not just keep on adding them automatically. I had never faced this kind of problem in Windows XP. But as I upgraded to vista after a week the display driver crashed and now I am also facing a bit connection drop issue. It is coming on the wifi. I will update the drivers and reply back.

I want to share something here. For new system if this kind of thing appear then the problem lies with drivers. Many users still uses the old drivers on new edition of windows. Like updating XP drivers on Vista which makes the job complicated. You have to go in Device Manager. Right click on the lan or wifi adapter and choose update drivers. If you have Vista specific hardware then right click on it and choose uninstall. Restart your pc and provide the actual driver. If you had upgraded your system then your OS is still running on old drivers. Remove them and add the most recent.

My issue was fixed after adding a router in the connection. I am having 2 computer. Both has Windows XP in it. It was working quiet fine and there was no problem with connectivity. The modem was connected to one computer and other share internet through first one. But somehow the connection drops and there was a constant failure. I bought a router and added it to the modem and connected both the pc to it. It started working. There is no failure at all. There is a constant internet connection with wifi also. So it looks you need a better hardware which can manage the internet connectivity. It is wise to add a router in your network.

In my system I am trying to connect internet on the inbuilt wifi adapter. I the adapter model is Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. I have a chipset driver cd with me that I got with the laptop. Also there is a bluetooth chip on the system. There is a weird issue in my laptop. I am using a dailup modem here. When the wifi is one the net connection drops, but when I turn it off it works fine. I am not able to understand the relation between. I checked in Intel ProSet utility that allows me to configure the wifi. But somehow when the wifi is on it is affects the internet connectivity. I cannot disable that completely also I share some files on it with other devices.

Now if diagnostic is not working then there is nothing much you can do. I will term this as a hardware failure. Windows XP itself manages the wifi connection. And the same is application for Vista. Diagnostic verifies the hardware connection and ensure that your device is working fine. It will give you direct result on your screen. You can check information related to that in the properties of wifi card. There are number of different option available in it. You can update the drivers from that location and ample of time updating that fixes many issues.

Re: Network icon says not connected but I am

You said that you are on a wifi network. So is it a protected or public network. You can try changing your SSID and then reconnect your device once again. It is better if you can hook a router in between. It will extend your internet connection. I had added one. I was not facing any connectivity failure problem but still adding a router solves various issue. Internet fluctuates due to hardware problem but somehow it is necessary that you can find a proper alternative that really works. Making changes in the drivers or simply re-installing the entire hardware if does not work then just add a router in it.

Just for testing purpose there is one thing you can do. You can turn of your firewall and other security applications like antivirus and then check whether your connection is breaking in between or not. Last time I had faced that issue due to McAfee. I do not understand what application is causing the failure but there is some service in the antivirus which is scanning the internet and that is why the connection broke. It is really very complicated to find this thing. Later on I turned of my antivirus and the net work fine. I am planing to switch to some other version.

According to me driver update can solve the problem. The official site of your manufacturer or motherboard can give you the right drivers. On wifi the connectivity fails due to many reason. It can be due to poor driver or improper range. There can be obstacles in between or poor signal that cause the failure. Also if there are multiple devices in the room can cause problem with the existing network. There can be fluctuation in between. It is always recommended that you keep your systems driver updated. Or else this kind of problem will keep on coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast