Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network icon says not connected but I am

Try to unbind IPv6 in your system. And if that does not work then there is one more thing that you can try. Try to move your router to some other location. Just carry that with you. It is quiet nice option to deal with the problem. The wifi that you have in your system comes with limited area and due to that you get the problem. Surfing on wifi is also a issue sometime. The last thing that remains to do in this kind of issue is putting the system on static ip. You have to contact your isp for the static ip address and there you can configure it manually. This is possible even on the wifi network.

Me too

I have FIOS with the same router -- and my desktop is wired to it. I've got the same problem. I can access the web fine, but the network icon says local access only. I checked the windows help and the local only comes when it has trouble connecting to a microsoft site. (DNS issue). However, even after putting DNS entries in the router, the globe will still disappear. It could be the router / FIOS -- or it could be windows live anti virus (onecall) software i'm using. I'll check my work laptop at home to see if it has the same problem (different anti-virus software).

Vista 64 bit on brand new Toshiba Laptop connected WiFi to a Trendnet 631BRP router -- This problem I have and after a thorough investigation , no one as of yet has been able to pinpoint the cause . Let me know if someone ever finds the cure !Meantime enjoy the RED X on your network connection icon !

Red X on Vista Internet Sys. Tray Icon

I am using a Compaq Presario laptop w/ a Linksys 54G wireless router. Everything was fine until I downloaded the SP1 for Vista. Now my internet icon in the system tray says I am not hooked up to the internet. However, I am hooked up and everything works as it should. I highly suspect there is an issue with the Vista Service Pack 1. If anyone finds a cure to this little bug, please post it here. Thanks.

My Vista 32 bit is having problem with router configuration. My wifi looks to be working fine, but due to some problem I don't know what the router configuration is modified. The system keep on scanning for connected network. I had seen people using multiple router in same place. But at my home a single is not working fine. Each time on system start the router configuration is modified. It looks there is some settings in the modem which is causing this problem.

Testing laptop complete

My laptop works fine at work -- which has a simple network attached to a single T1 to the internet. At home, after a bit it too looses the internet globe but still works fine. The moment it's back at work the globe comes right back. I suspect there is a difference between how FIOS data centers route/process traffic and those of my work ISP that affect vista's recognition. When I had Comcast I didn't have this problem. I did notice I can temporarily get the globe back now and then when i release / renew my IP using a command prompt.

-Pete

I also have the actiontech router and Vista SP1 and came upon this thread, Same issue. If I reinstall the Intel Lan drivers, I get the Internet status showing as connected for a little while and then back to "local only" status even though I can still connect althgough it seems slower than when status is on.

Re: Network icon says not connected but I am

I just started having the red x problem also, vista 32bit sp1 fully updated.

I have the exact same problem - no internet globe, but can surf the net just fine. I don't have this problem with Time Warner Cable or Verizon DS, but my verizon fios consistently runs into it. I have also connected to numerous hot spots, and both verizon and sprnt WAN connections - non of which exhibit the problem. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with either FiOS or the ActionTec router. I have released and renewed the IP address manually, and that always corrects the problem. My guess is that it either has something to do with the router firewall, or an intermdiary server on the FiOS network that does not allow a world wide web heart beat or ICMP validation (i'll be honest and admit I don't know what I just wrote), but the only logical thing is that somehow Vista is not able to confirm a www connection in the FiOS setup.

I seem to have fixed the problem by running wf.msc and restoring the default settings. I had changed the default action for outgoing connections to block, then changed it back to allow. That is when I noticed the problem.

I was getting a x mark on the network icon. It appear constantly and then went back. I was not able to find the cause behind it. Later on the problem lies with the network adapter. I have a very old desktop pc. It has windows xp in it. I purchased a lan card and then it worked. There was no problem after words. So if you are irritated with all this issue you can get a lan card. It is comes at a very reasonable rate. You can buy that and hook it in your pc. It works fine.

Same problem, however other people have said it doesn't have any effect apart from it being very frustrating. but i've found a few problems that it's caused for me:
    -Windows's automatic update stopped working.
    -I can't view other computers on network, therfore not being able to share media.
    -Applications for streaming tv eg sopcast, and tvants no longer work(i'm english but living in canada and like to stream football(or soccer))
    Unlike other peoples issue mine is very consistent, i try to connect(i've tried various networks, all the same) it connects and starts identifying then after about 5 seconds it says not connected, but if i diagnose the problem it says it doesn't find a problem with internet connection and if i go to connect to network, in that screen it says i'm connect. So it's just the 'network icon' and 'network and sharing centre' that says i'm not connected. The problem started the first time i connected to a network called basewireless which doesn't immediatly connect to the internet, you have to first open a browser and then enter a password. i no longer use that network and connect normally through a wireless router, and i have delelted all prefered networks, but the problem is still there and behaves in the same way which ever network i connect to. Finally i have a Dell inspiron 1525 running vista home premium sp1, and have a Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card. i have checked for new drivers and don't have the option of rolling back drivers.
    Hope someone can help Thanks in advance

Nic

Hi Bob,

This is what you asked. "I haven't found anyone yet who can explain what parameters and/or tests Vista is using to determine "connected to the Internet"." The answer I would like to give is below:
    Vista uses a BROKEN module called 'nlasvc.dll' to determine 'connected to the Internet'. I can try and explain the whole process on what this module does to report connectivity status but I'm scared I'd end up confusing you. So, let me not attempt for now. If you really would like to know, I'll be more than happy to write a special post for you later. I know two people for whom my solution has worked and that's me and a new friend named Bobbo. Read my post at Windows Vista Internet Connection Globe icon missing. Let us know if it works.

Thanks,
    Ching

=========================================================

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12