Thread: Vista PC cannot ping XP machine

Vista PC cannot ping XP machine

I was finally able to get my computer to respond but only one way and I have connected via an ethernet cat5 cable to it. I have also installed McAfee antivirus on both computer. I am able to get the XP to talk to Vista machine but not the other way around and I was able to copy the files to Vista as well from XP without any issues? But, if in Vista I am trying to open the shared view of XP computer then I get the unable to communicate message. I have also setup the firewall to enable file sharing for both xp with no password at all? Is there anyone who can help me out? Thanks.

Re: Vista PC cannot ping XP machine

What do you mean to say when you said that the firewalls are setup to enable file sharing, what all firewalls are you talking about here that you have installed in your pc? You will need to check McAfee properly for any kind of anti-worm components that may be needed for configuration. Also check for the LSP / Winsock corruption on both pcs.

RE: Vista PC cannot ping XP machine

Incase you have installed Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro antivirus, etc, then ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled in the same software's firewall. Also ensure that the workgroup name of all the computers is the same. In vista network and sharing try to turn on Network Discovery and also set the network to private. After that also try to turn on file sharing and also public folder sharing.

Re: Vista PC cannot ping XP machine

Even I was having the same issue and after reading from many different forums, I fixed the problem on my own by correctly configuring the McAfee firewall settings on the XP computer. Open the Mcafee antivirus and then choose Internet and Network and then click on configure, after that click on Advanced and in the Firewall column, click on Networks and ensure that you have the IP address or range configured as Trusted.