Thread: Restrict access to network for standard users

Restrict access to network for standard users

I’m having a home network running a Windows XP and a Vista Ultimate PC. Now the thing I want to do is on Vista computer I want to restrict access for Standard users to a Network drive. This network drive is on XP computer containing very important files, folders and data. What I actually want to do is, as an administrator I must be able to access that drive on Vista but Standard users should not be able to. Is that possible? If yes please let me know how? Thank you very much.

It is very simple dude. You just need to go the shared folder/drive properties, select Security, remove all users except the
    administrator.Thats it. Standard users will no more be able to use it.

Restrict access to network for standard users

Hoping someone can assist here. I ran a closed network with XP and vista systems. There is no password restriction on any of the shared folders, except for two backup servers.

I have been asked to run a system on my network that a limited group of people will be able to access via a teamviewer network and perform tasks locally on that system.

The issue is I want to not allow the system to see or access any of my other local systems or drives. I tried to change the workgroup name, but the drives are still listed in the network neighbourhood.

Any help or input would be appreciated,

Re: Restrict access to network for standard users

Hope someone can help me. In our neighborhood we have about 10 residents on a LAN. I have 2 computers one with Win 7 Ultimate and one with XP SP3. In trying to get my 2 Pc'd to talk to one another I have permissions set up for everyone, but now all 10 residents can see my 2 pc's. While I can also see both PC's from either machine, in trying to change the "Everyone" to restrict access to the names of each of the 2 pcs only I can only see users and Administrator on that particular machine only.
    How can I stop the other residents from seeing my machine be allow me to see either of my machines from one another?

Quote Originally Posted by Starman202 View Post
    Hope someone can help me. In our neighborhood we have about 10 residents on a LAN. I have 2 computers one with Win 7 Ultimate and one with XP SP3. In trying to get my 2 Pc'd to talk to one another I have permissions set up for everyone, but now all 10 residents can see my 2 pc's. While I can also see both PC's from either machine, in trying to change the "Everyone" to restrict access to the names of each of the 2 pcs only I can only see users and Administrator on that particular machine only.
    How can I stop the other residents from seeing my machine be allow me to see either of my machines from one another?
    How we control the network access is through Cisco ACS plus Microsoft IAS. This link may give more details.

Cisco Access Control Server
    http://www.howtocisco.com/cisco/howto/acs0.htm

Thanks very much and this may be one of the options but I was hoping that this could be done via the existing software. I also have acquired a spare Netgear DG834GU ADSL modem and will be looking at using the router section of this which has some security built in failing which will need to look at Cisco. Thanks for your help.