Thread: Vista Home Premium will not connect to Wireless non-broadcast SSID

Vista Home Premium will not connect to Wireless non-broadcast SSID

I am having a Acer Aspire 5920G laptop. It came with a wifi card. I had checked the specification which says that it is some 4965AGN. At start I had connected to all the access points which are available with appropriate SSID. There was no issue with locating proper access point. There is no issue with detecting new internet connectivity on the laptop. I am using WAP protection on the same. The problem actually lies with connection but it is not able to broadcast SSID using WEP. I am making some changes to the Access Point so that it can be more secure. There is only a XP and Vista system on the network. But somehow the SSID fails to broadcast. Any idea on the same.

It looks like there is some issue with the router. It is the one which is causing the issue with SSID. There can be configuration difference between the devices and the router that has your in the network. You can try connecting the same to the public network and then check back same. You must try to turn off and turn on the same. It must work properly. You can test the same on the wired connection. I am sure on wired connection the issue would be resolved and then check back the same.

You can try to turn off the SSID and then try to start the same. SSID allows the devices to detect the device and start the same. Somehow at the start this might not be working but if you try to configure the same manually I am sure it must work. Check the router for SSID settings and then check the network setting. You can then reconfigure the wifi again through network and sharing center. It is better if you go with manual configuration. It saves your time a lot.

A network always has a SSID and I think without that it is not possible to make it work. When you disable the broadcast SSID the other devices on the network will not be able to find the network. What are you actually trying to do. If you find the issue with Vista try to recreate a network in your computer and then check back. Assign a appropriate IP address if required and then check back again. I think it is going to work well. I had done this once manually by adding the ip and things went back to fine.

I am on a network which has a Cisco router on it. The service is working great but somehow when I am on automatic configuration my network fails in between. It is not possible for me to provide a static to many computers in the network. It is a long job and if there is still connectivity problem it will consume more time. I had added a wifi extender in some parts of my office so that the signal can reach to maximum corner. All users had complained about wifi drop after few minutes. I am still wondering to find a proper way. Now this network is protected by WEP.

Try to change your security and then try back. Start for public. A network with no password. See that your systems are able to connect it properly. If still the devices is not able to find the computers on the network then this kind of issue lies with the router hardware. I had seen a number of devices which are suffering from hardware failure only. Vista has nothing related to SSID. It is entirely managed by the router itself. Try to reset your settings and then once again check back. I am sure this is going to work fine or not.