Thread: Vista Dialup error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

Vista Dialup error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

I am getting a error on my system. The error is A device attached to the system is not functioning. There are multiple modems on the same computer. In total there will be around 4 different modem which are connected. But somehow it looks one of them has failed to work improperly. The login details that I am using is correct and there is no issue with the connectivity. I think the dialer is not able to provide a proper connectivity. I hope there will be some way to fix the error. It keeps on appearing in between.

I had got that error on a single modem not on multiple connection. There is a single device which is connected to the notebook. I am using internet through my mobile phone. It act as the modem for internet connectivity. The internet was working fine but due to some changes this error appeared and cause the same error that you got. I think this some kind of drive update problem. I am not able to understand why the error appear when the device is working fine. Later on after going through number of common threads I found that the error appear when the dail up networking in Vista fails to work.

Did you tried to resolve the error by clicking on troubleshooting the option. I think the device which is attached is having some connectivity issue. Try to change the connectivity and then check again. You can try connecting the same on some other working port and I am sure it will work. I got the error on Dell 1252 laptop. The internet connection use to work well on XP, but does not work well on Vista. It is a bug in Vista. And on the same Windows XP is much better with minimum bugs of this kind.

I have the same problem with my computer.I m running Windows Vista 32bit and cannot make any modem connection! I get the RAS error code 31.
    I know it s coming from Vista but what can I do ?

I have tryed the Rarepair.exe but it was not a good idea 1 after installed it I cannnot do any Connection ( from Modem up to WLAN or LAN )

I have the solution for my probleme and info for you.
    I had contact with Microsoft and get the confirmation that Rarepaire.exe is working with Vista. But this software is very sensible and you have to take care when using it: I add some step on the process before running Rarepaire.exe :

1. Remove Modem driver from the Device Manager.
    - Right click My Computer and select Properties.
    - Click on Hardware, Device Manager. Click on + sign by modem, right click and uninstall modem.
    2. Delete the dial up connections ( Control panel / Phone ) and remove 3rd party RAS related program if any ( Nokia, Sony Ericsson and so on ).

2.1) Remove all Wifi Software from Computer producer ( DELL or INTEL PROWireless software and so on), remove all VPN connection/software ( Cisco and so on )
    2.2) Disable all connection ( Bluetooth and Wifi )
    2.3) remove Anti Virus Software ( this Time Kaspersky / NOD32 ) / switching it off was not enough !
    2.4) restart the computer

3. Run the attached file to install RArepair.exe, and then run RArepair.exe to reinstall RAS components. Reboot.
    4. Reinstall Modem driver and the 3rd party dial up program if it is required by your ISP.
    5. Recreate the dial up connection and check if the problem is resolved.

After the point 3) you should see when restarting you computer a comand windows with the text " installing......" if not, it means that you have forget to deinstall something.

Please do not forget to create a "Resotre point" before testing Rarepaire.exe. As I told you when it s not working you won t have any Wireless Connection at all ( Dial-up, WLAN or wifi )

There is of course no warranty that it s working all the time for all computer but for me ( DELL M90 Vista 32 ) it worked fine.

PS: I have attached Rarepaire.zip. the one worked with my Vista
    Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Vista Dialup error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

Hi, Please can anyone help me with this I'm getting freak !!

I run rarepair.exe and so on. But now I have three devices have problem see the attachment.

And still cannot using e220 modem on vista home premium, the error is 720.
    Please I don't want re-install vista.

Re: Vista Dialup error 31 A device attached to the system is not functioning

Hey,

I am having the same problem...