Thread: I have a problem with my network location

I have a problem with my network location

I have Windows Vista laptop and XP desktop running on the same network and both file sharing are enabled. Problem is that my Xp is able to access Vista laptop on the network but Vista is not able to access XP. No matter what I do it wont remain connected. It is only accessible when I connect the laptop via Ethernet cable to the desktop but that also remains for just few minutes. Am sure the settings are correct, both systems are on the same workgroup and both can see other but XP is not accessible to Vista. Any help please?

Re: I have a problem with my network location

Are you able to ping Xp by Ip or computer name from your Vista laptop? Do you have any third party firewall installed? if yes, you should remove it to fix this problem. Most probably these third party network blocks the connection and you get such error. Only run both the systems with built in Windows firewall along with allowing file and printer sharing.

Thanks for the reply HELLIAN, yes I’m not facing any problem pinging both computers. Meanwhile I found one more thing. Everything works fine when both computers are on the network its just that i need to keep my xp on my network. Whenever I try accessing Xp from Vista it says: “error code: 80070035 the network path cannot be found.”

Is there any fix for this error message?

I have had similar intermittent problems. I finally discovered the problem was in my Belkin gateway. Even though I had automatic update on the gateway/router, it was not up to date. The new firmware fixes several problems including the one that incorrectly indicates the firmware is up to date. With the new firmware, the problem has almost completely disappeared. Once in a while, one or more of the computers on the network "loses" the network but can still see and update network files. As soon as I reboot the gateway, the problem goes away. So, I suggest you try rebooting the gateway is you Belkin/Cisco gateway of router. If not, try it anyway, it's quick to do and may be the unsuspected cause.

The latest Belkin firmware is on downloadable from their site

The problem can be cause due to your isp problem or may be your wire problem.