Thread: Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1

Intel Next-Gen Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN card suitable for 801.1

After buying a new Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop I am not happy with the wifi performance in it. There is a router at my office which offers 1mbps internet connection. There is a 801.11 card integrated on the laptop. The laptop has Windows Vista in it. Now the protocol of the wifi is common and widely support by all. So there must be all devices that must work properly on it. I am getting a very slow speed. The specs of that wifi card that is in the laptop features 54mbps and rightnow the speed that I am getting is around 10kbps. Sometime it takes a long time to connect to the office network. I had done the driver update. Because this is the only first thing I can do here. That did not put much effect. Any idea what can be done there.

I think the problem lies with the compatibility. Due to incompatible standard this issue has appeared. Updating drivers will not do much here. It is necessary that you must ensure the wifi connectivity is applicable with the router or not. Means just verify the specification and then check back. You can try to ping any website and say how much response time you are getting. If the same is very high then you have to go with cable connectivity. You can contact dell and report the issue because on high speed network you are getting a relative slow speed. There can be hardware fault with the system.

Is there any documentation available with the laptop. In that you can find a starter guide to work with the wifi. There can be some settings which is causing this problem. Your system might be very far from the wifi router. What is the signal strength you are getting. If it is very low then try to bring the laptop near to the router. Cable connectivity is another good option that will really. Check the driver update once more time. You can find some latest updated drivers and run them. If still this does not work then you have to carry that to the repair center. The problem lies with the hardware.

Is there any security software or firewall turned on. Disable that and then check again. I think any security application in your system is causing the failure. It is recommended that you must turn of UAC and Firewall also. I had got the issue due to McAfee and OneCare. I removed both and the system started working. There is no issue at all. But for sometime your system lies on the risk. I think you will need to put the router under the exception list of firewall and then check back. It will really help you.