Thread: Cannot Disable Password Protected Sharing

Cannot Disable Password Protected Sharing

I do not know that I did but there was some issue due to which I am not able to disable password protection on the home network. I am trying to setup a home network. There are some public folders that I want to share with other computers. I went to control panel and click on public sharing. Still when some people try to access my folder it ask for the password. It is a bit annoying and a waste of time also. I had disabled UAC and other security settings. So there are no chances that they are blocking the connection. Does anyone has idea on this issue.

UAC has nothing to do here. In your system your shared folders are locked. Guest users are not authorized to use the file and that is the reason you are getting the error. You have to go back in Network and Sharing center and simply convert your existing network to public network. Then go the settings and turned of password on file sharing. That's all. Your folders will be accessible to all. You can only manage to get this settings work is in admin mode or else it is a bit waste of time. It is not going to work at all.

Check the folder that you want to share. Is there any tiny icon on that. There can be a lock icon that shows that still those folders are blocked and people do not own permission to share it. The next thing you can do just right click on that folder and go to sharing set the permission to Everyone. There is a small drop down. From there select read and write. If this settings is not provided then others will not be able to access the files. Vista is a bit annoying in sharing files on the network with others. While if you work on XP it is more simple.

If you are not able to disable password protected sharing or if that option is grayed out then you will need to login in admin account. It has the full right to change settings or else it will not work. A number of account is limited due to which you get that error. You can test the same by creating a new account and granting full privileges to the same. Make it like a admin and then went to network sharing center and disable the option. It will be working after when you have full access. Are you getting any error while changing the sharing option. If yes then post that here.

I am also trying to do the same thing. There are around 4 XP computers which are on the network and they are causing the sharing failure. I am confused with the process. When i tried to open some shared folder through Network places in XP computer I got a message to enter password for accessing the files. Then I went into the network sharing center. There are very few option available on that. I do not want any password. The network that was connected was Public. So to some extent it must take all the settings on its own. I tried to apply the settings but that also did not worked.

It is very easy to share files in Vista. I cannot figure out why you are getting that error. You must check for virus in your system. There can be some internal malware or virus which is causing that problem. Scan your system in with a good antivirus under safe mode and then check again. Because a admin you have full privileges to modify the file settings. But still if you are not allowed to do that then you get the problem. File permission are modified by the virus which coverts your existing account to a limited account and does not allow you to make changes.

Try to run system restore. You can find that in the Start Menu. It looks some recent changes has limited your account due to which you are getting that problem. Just run system restore and select a old date at which your system was working extremely well. Once your system is recovered properly without any error then try to modify the file permission settings. It must be working. If you are not able to get a proper solution with that process also then follow the below link.
    File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista