Thread: XP vs Vista wireless connection problems

XP vs Vista wireless connection problems

I was having a Windows XP desktop as well as XP laptop; both were connected with Belkin wireless G router. Desktop is obviously connected with Ethernet cable and laptop on wireless. I never had any connection problem on any of these two systems. Last week I bought a new HP laptop which came pre-installed with Vista.

Problem starts here. First of all sometimes laptop won’t connect to the wireless networks, if it gets connect somehow, signal use to be very weak and keeps dropping the connection continuously. Once it gets disconnected, there is no way to connect it again until I restart the laptop.

Any idea what is the problem? Is there something Vista and XP cant work on the same network? Is there something wrong with router, am I missing some settings? Somebody please help.

Re: XP vs Vista wireless connection problems

I have bit confusion on your situation. By saying the connection is dropping, is it between laptop and the desktop OR laptop and the router? I think you are talking about the laptop and the router, right? If yes, then it is probably due to the drivers. You should run windows updates or open Device Manager, right click WiFi adapters and update the drivers. Also visit routers manufacturer website and download/installed the most recent drivers on Vista laptop.

Re: XP vs Vista wireless connection problems

Yes, the connections drops between vista laptop and the router. My Xp laptop and Xp desktop don’t have any problem with this router since years. Only the problem is with Vista running laptop. Anyways, I’ll try out installing the drivers you suggested above and let you know the results.