Thread: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

I am not able to get the folder sharing to work on my pc at all. If I am trying to turn the public folder sharing on then I will get an error message that will say "The RPC server is unavailable". And when I put the folder that I want to share in my public folder, then I will get the message that states "You need permission to perform this action." I am the sole user of this computer and I cannot see anything improper with the admin stuff. Is there anyone who can help me out? Thanks

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

Follow the below steps to give permissions to the File/folder:

1. First of all right-click the file and select Properties.
    2. After that click on the Security tab.
    3. Now you have to click Advanced in the lower right.
    4. Then in the Advanced Security Settings window that pops up, click on the Owner tab and click Edit.
    5. After that click Other users or groups and then click Advanced in the lower left corner and then click Find Now.
    6. Now you have to scroll through the results and double-click on your current user account.
    7. After that click OK to all of the remaining windows except the first Properties window.
    8. Then you will need to select your user account from the list up top and click Edit.
    9. After that select your user account from the list up top again and then in the pane below, check Full control under Allow, or as much control as you need and you will get a security warning, click Yes.
    10. Usually, on some files that are essential to Windows, you will get a “Unable to save permission changes… access is denied” warning and there’s nothing that you can do about it I think.

Re: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

I have tried to follow your method and it seems that it is not working for me. Can you give me some other solution? Thanks

RE: File sharing problems in Vista Home Premium

Even I was facing similar issue and found out that we need to turn off the "Password Protect" for the folder sharing, so that we can share folders on a Lan. I also checked that the folder password protect only applies to Shared Folders on the local computer that you have and not on the local network. You can find the same setting in the Network and Sharing Center. Hope this helps.