Thread: Offline Files gives "Access is Denied" error

I have a notebook that came with Windows XP in it. I had upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate. After upgrade there is a problem with my file sharing. I have a desktop also. I am using a tool that sync my files on the network and keep a offline copy in the notebook. It is very beneficial while traveling. But after Vista upgrade when I try to access those offline file I am getting a access denied error. This is really weird. Never got the option in Windows XP. The Sync Manager keeps a track of modified files and update them as needed. But Vista fail to work with those settings.

What kind of software you were using. I think this is some kind of security problem with files. After adding Vista your file permissions are modified due to which the Sync Manager fails to update the fails. It becomes really very complicated to work on file permission in Vista. You have to share your files and folder publicly and then see whether it really works fine or not. Just go in the Sharing Tab and lower down the permission settings. Then check back and see it works fine or not. I am sure there will be no errors at all.

Yes I too agree. This is a sharing issue. It is necessary that you must provide full sharing access to the files in your system so that other tools can modify it properly. I am using a third party software for that. It is much better. It copies and updates the files which are modified with keeping a backup of old files. You have to change the permission and allow everyone to access the file and the only those will be updated. Or else you will keep on facing this issue.

I had gone through that situation before also. I am not really aware that this kind of issue might appear with Windows. A number of time file sharing is not capable of giving full permission access. I was going through that problem on Windows server. In your system you are just sharing files between two systems. While in my case the problem basically lies with a number of pc. I had then configured the system to grant full privileges to all to share files and modify them as per the need. It started working well. There was no issue at all.