Thread: Is it possible to share file and printer between Vista and Windows 98

Is it possible to share file and printer between Vista and Windows 98

I want some help here to find solution on sharing file between a Windows 98 desktop and a Vista laptop. I am going to buy a new one. So before going for that I had borrowed my frends laptop that has Vista in it. I am not able to setup sharing among them but I think there are chances to the same. I want some help here. Is it possible. If yes then which is the most easiest way of doing the same. I am sure there will be some simple way of fixing the problem. Both OS are entirely different.

You are talking about sharing files between 98 and Vista. One is extremely old OS and other one is extremely new. There is very less chances that Windows 98 might be able to read Vista network. But still you can test. Put both the system on same network on same workgroup. Ensure the file shared among them does not has any permission problem. Then scan Vista and check. I hope Windows 98 will be detected. There one more thing you can do. You can update Windows XP on the 98 system if files sharing does not work on the old OS. It is easy to upgrade XP on 98. Just get the appropriate drivers.

That is a thing to test. I had upgraded my system to Windows XP and then I added some new computers of Vista on the same. I think there will be some kind of compatibility bugs between both the os. The best way to transfer files among them is through a removable media. You can simply copy paste files among the systems. One more thing you can test is connecting both the system directly through ethernet cable. Then go in Windows 98 and see whether Vista system is detected or not.