Thread: How do I delete offline files/folders from laptop

How do I delete offline files/folders from laptop

I am having a laptop that has Windows Vista installed in the same. I had enabled file sharing between other computer that has XP and Vista. When I connect the Vista system with XP the files are synced with each other. In this way I am able to keep my files updated. But there are some files which I do not need. Last time when I check the offline file folder the size was around 20GB. The files size is keep on increasing and when try to delete them I am getting access denied error. Anyhow I deleted them but on reboot all the files were restored back. This is a very weird issue.

If the share is still available in the system then you will not be able to remove the files. You have to go in control panel and modify the sync settings and put them on completely offline mode. If it is not completely turned off the files will not appear or else they will be sync back again. It is a bit annoying feature. That is the reason I use briefcase. In Vista there is a third party software that can really help in this and does not require anything related internal vista settings.

Try to delete those files and even if possible remove the folders where it is kept. I am sure it will not be able to find the location and the files will be wiped out. There can be other more issue with the file cache. Sometime the cache is not cleared and this kind of issue appear. The cache looks to be keeping the files in it on temporary basis due to which you are finding them occupying so much space. You can go in help and support and find the settings to stop this completely.

The problem that I am facing is somewhat similar here. First I had shared the files. Later on I had turned off the sync. But still the files were present. When I try to delete them I am getting access denied error. It was really very annoying. All things were working fine, only I was not able to just get rid of that file. It become really complicated to wipe out that completely. I had first started to disabled the file sharing option. I thought that would lock the stuff. But still the folders were present. I think this is some kind of file permission problem. Did you tried to remove the same in safe mode. I am sure it will work.

There are some registry values which had blocked the same. I had seen that for fixing the issue you will need the modify the following registry : REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters" /v FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f. You can run this command in cmd. It is necessary that you must run in administrator. To start it just right click on it and choose run as administrator and then type the entire things. I am sure it is going to work and offer you a much better option to deal with problem. It is not at all complicated. After that try to get rid of the files.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - Offline Folders

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 and I am having the same problems. I was really excited about this functionality but I am having many problems with it.

In addition to the issues above, I am also getting an error "The mounted file system does not support extended attributes" when I try to transfer files to my NAS and prevents me from transferring files. I have been using Windows XP with my Buffalo Terastation NAS for over 3 years and have not ever saw this error message.

The Terastation runs Linux with a XFS file system. I really think the error handling for Windows could be improved in this case - instead of throwing up a message and bombing-out, give me an option to strip the attributes that cannot be transferred - this would make offline folders much more useful.

*** Update****
    I just used my laptop to copy the files with Windows XP and didn't have any issues. Looks like Windows Vista 64 Bit has some issues.
    Last edited by Trenton Bullock; 18-12-2007 at 01:21 AM.

Re: How do I delete offline files/folders from laptop

i have windows 7 ..64 bit ...i have a mkv file on desktop that i am not able to delete ..as its saying (action cannot be completed because the file is open in windows explorer). so can somebody help me please..

Quote Originally Posted by anku135 View Post
    i have windows 7 ..64 bit ...i have a mkv file on desktop that i am not able to delete ..as its saying (action cannot be completed because the file is open in windows explorer). so can somebody help me please..
    Did you check in msconfig.exe to see if anything is starting up you do not recognize that could be related? Could it be a virus of some type? Can you move it, perhaps to the root directory? Have you tried taking ownership of it using the properties/security settings?

i do have ownership of the file and can play it as well make copy of it but even the copy is not moving any where ......i don't know if its a kinda virus any how its not affecting in any other sense....i tried checking up all .exe files of the same date when i copied(or modified) it but its not there.......