Thread: Error "Windows Cannot Create Network Map"

Error "Windows Cannot Create Network Map"

I am facing a bit issue on Windows. Network mapping is not working at all. When I try to start the same I am getting a error that Windows Cannot Create Network Map. I am constantly getting the same error. I had enabled the same in GPO, but still getting the same error. The network map allows to find a information on what is the devices that are connected to the lan. Is there any idea to work with Discovery Mapper service. It is not working at all. Is there some third party software available that can do this. Thanks.

What is the windows edition you are using. It is necessary that you get the right one so that it works well. There can be number of reasons behind the same. At my home I am having a very simple connection. The cable modem is connected with router and there are two computers which are accessing them on Wifi. The system works fine and the network map also shows up the detail that I need. It is not at all complicated to find a proper update on the same. There are some third party software that you can really use.

In my network there are two Vista and 2 Windows XP computer. Both of them are on the common network. Now recently I had not made any changes, but due to some reason the network map is not visible. I had never tested this but just wondered lets checkout the same and find out the connected devices on my system. All the devices are behind firewall. So I think this can be the issue. The network discovery is working there is no issue with that. I had disabled UAC and if that also does not work then anyone please provide suggestion on some third party software that really works.

There can be number of reasons behind the same. First of all there can be devices on the network that are not working fine or are delayed. There can be a router which does not support this thing. You can start with updating the router firmware and then check back again. Outdated firmware can cause failure. If your system is connected to a bridge or hub then it is recommended that you must connect it directly to the router. It is better to update the router firmware first and then check back.

Did you tried to run troubleshooter. It will diagnose for errors in your connection and will display the bug. You can through that find the cause of the problem. There is one more place where you can check the error. Go in Event Viewer > Log. In that you can find a set of errors that can be used to find the core issue behind it. Windows XP is just better in this while Vista is buggy. I am not sure about the service which is associated with creating network map. But there must be some option available that can help out to resolve the issue. Updating router firmware is one of the easiest way to fix the issue.

There are 5 different computers connected on the network. I added a new laptop which has vista. There is a wifi hub on the network also and the internet works fines. There are 2 systems that are upgraded to Vista and does not appear on the network. They just disappear even when they are shared properly. I had tried to change the cable but still the problem lies the same. I think the problem lies with some network error in Vista. The cable looks to be working fine.

I am on Vlan and I got this kind of issue constantly. There is a nForce networking controller working on my system. I had updated the drivers also but still network map does not help much. I had tried to change the priority and vlan but still nothing works. It is a bit complicated to understand how this thing work in Windows Vista. Mapping can be the cause of this or what is the issue if mapping does not work. Many will say it is due to outdated drivers or cable. But there is something more here. When I updated by drivers from 65.xxx version to 670xxx version the network map failed to work which was working well before.

LLDP Responder

I do not thing Vista is only the one who is facing this issue. I am getting the same error on Windows XP SP3. I tried to download and install a hotfix from the official Microsoft website but somehow it also fails. The XP system is detected well on the network map, but sometime it is gone. There is a requirement of much better hotfix that really works and I am sure I can find this easily. I had enabled public sharing and removed all the restrictions.
    Last edited by hshlevin; 12-08-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Check for Windows Update. That is the only place where you can find a working solution. And also n event log. There are some third party programs but I am not really sure about them. I tried to find on web there are no popular software available. You will need to find some kind of lan monitoring software that will really help you to give intact information.

re: Error "Windows Cannot Create Network Map"

I had tried a tons of things to get the full network function work. But there was no way at all. When I try to find that I was constantly getting a error that it is not going to work. I am having a very simple network. It is connected to some 4 network pc and there is a linksys modem connected with router. Still it fails to work. It is somehow complicated go get a working response on the same. The network looks be incompatible in collecting all the updates which are required.