Thread: Error "website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)"

Error "website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)"

I had purchased a new laptop that has Windows Vista on the same. There is a router which is configured on the network. Everything is working well but due to some reason I am not able to open any website. When I type www.microsoft.com on the web browser I am getting a very annoying error. The error says that the website not setup to establish connection. what does that means. I had never seen this kind of error before and in network sharing center the network is connected.

Try to ping a website and then see you are getting a response or not. Because if ping is working then the problem lies with the website service. You can check that in msconfig. You can find the details of information released and if that is not a valid then you can manually add all of them. It is not at all complicated and I am sure you can do the settings manually also. You can collect some references on the same from web and appy them on your system. I had got the same issue where I found that the antivirus is causing some kind of scanning stuff to block web access. After disabling the antivirus things went back to find and there was no error at all.

Thanks a lot for the info. I never had Norton so I did not know what to do to fix this issue but I simply did what you instructed and it worked nicely. Thank you so much! I even made an account just to say thanks.

We do have Norton's on our computer and this worked (going to settings, unchecking proxy, and checking auto detect). An "anti virus program" was loaded onto our computer automatically, I think some sort of virus/spyware stuff and it kept popping screens up all over the place. Went into Norton's and successfully fixed it, but after that we were unable to get to the internet with the same message as above. Tried a few things but neither of us are very computer savvy! Called Qwest and they said it was a browser problem, they connected us with Compaq and they wouldn't help with anything, unless we purchased an extended warranty.....So I decided to do a search from my work computer (fully expecting I would never be so lucky to actually find something that would work. I figured the virus stuff probably really messed something up) and came across this! It fixed it immediately and surely saved me some money!

re: Error "website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)"

u saved me !
    I called my internet provider he couldnt help, i kept searching thru another browser, luckily i found ur post.
    Like some one else also mentioned I too registered on this site for an account just to say thanks a lot!

Here's an easy solution I found:

Open the browser that's not working for you and make sure that for it's LAN connections, it's not using a proxy server.

So, eg ... for IE: go to Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections Tab --> make sure the box for 'Automatically detect settings' and 'Use a Proxy Server for LAN' are BOTH UNCHECKED.

thestroke:
    Thanks for your post, helped me solve the connection issue. Mine was LAN issue, had not entered the Proxy in IE although i had entered in Mozilla. Problem solved...

thestroke!

Thank you so much for the quick resolution! you made me happy :)

thank you so much for posting this! i had some trouble with my virus software blocking an application i'd recently downloaded. then i couldn't access the internet at all until i changed the settings as you advised. thank you!!

my computer cannot log in to facebook....
    its said that it cannot connect to the facebook website...
    what should i do...

Quote Originally Posted by jiron View Post
    my computer cannot log in to facebook....
    its said that it cannot connect to the facebook website...
    what should i do...
    Well, are you able to open every other website or does the same problem occurs with different website as well? Have you installed in firewall or antivirus in your system? Can you try to disable it and then try to login to facebook? Which web browser are you using? Can you try to install multiple browser like opera, google chrome, firefox and check whether you are able to login to facebook or not?

The Norton Uninstall utility saved my butt also. We are a repair shop and had a computer in that had stopped working 3 years ago due to a missing screw! No reason the Internet connection shouldn't have also worked, but it didn't and it sure was frustrating. Everything looked good through IPCONFIG /ALL and the network connection even said it had Internet connectivity, but nothing could talk to the Internet. I could ping a website ip address successfully, but that was about it. Thanks for the great suggestion - saved us from reinstalling.

Daryn