Thread: Cannot connect to XP Printer Share - error "Not Enough Memory"

Cannot connect to XP Printer Share - error "Not Enough Memory"

I have a Windows XP SP2 machine. It is on shared network. I don’t have any problem accessing shared resources on XP system, neither there is any problem mapping to shared folders or accessing shared data. But wheneve ri try connecting to shared printer through this XP SP2, I get an error message saying:

“Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to complete this operation. Please close some programs and try again.”

As per troubleshooting, I deleted the share and recreated it again but still getting the same error message. Any advice please?

RE: Cannot connect to XP Printer Share - error "Not Enough Memory"

First of all this is Vista Network section. You should have posted your query in XP section. Anyways, to me it appears like Vista's IRP Stack size is in error and gives those out of memory errors. While searching I found this Microsoft Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089/en-us describing the problem for Vista as well as XP with solution. I have solved many such problem with the help of this.Hope it helps you too.

Same problem, but IRPStackSize didn't solve it

I am also unable to add a shared printer on my WinXP SP2 computer to my new Vista laptop. I've set IRPStackSize to 20 (decimal) on both computers, and rebooted both. No problem mapping a drive letter on the Vista laptop to a shared folder on the XP computer, but an attempt (on Vista PC) to add this shared network printer returns this message:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to complete this operation. Please close some programs and try again.

On the XP computer, the only program running is Windows Explorer. The Vista laptop has 2GB of RAM, and only Firefox and "Add Printer" are running. There should be plenty of memory on both computers.

Any other solutions, please?

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Cannot connect to XP Printer Share - error "Not Enough Memory"

Hello BillR, just try increasing IRPStackSize up to 54 or simply install the printer as local port first and then re-capture it as network printer.