Thread: Getting Access Denied Error while joning Windows 2003 domain

Getting Access Denied Error while joning Windows 2003 domain

I need some help with Vista RC1 clean installation. I am not able to work with the same. At my office I am trying to put my Vista laptop on Windows 2003 RC. When I try to put the same on domain I am getting a access denied error. I am not able to figure out why I am getting this error while other workstation on the same network is working quiet well. If there is any way then it is better or should I go for complete Vista re-installation. Is there any way to deal with the problem.

You are getting that error because you are not able to get a proper authentication on Windows Server network. Do you remember the process of getting network id from lan when you are on the domain. You must arrange a proper network id so that your system can get authenticated on the network. Or else it is a bit of waste of time. If you are not able to get a proper solution for the same. I am sure there will be some kind of working solution that will really help. If not then it is recommended that you must re-install windows vista from scratch and then check back.

I am also getting the same on my Vista system. I am not able to find a work around that really works. It looks the problem lies with the GPO. I am trying to reconfigure everything from scratch but still not able to find solution for it. I had added the Vista machine in a group and configured that on the gpo. But still that fails to work. I think there is some issue with Vista and Windows 2003 Server. They both looks incompatible with each other. It will be a bit complicated to get a working solution for both.

Hello all!
    I had the same problem an hour ago But i`ve found how to fix it for me.
    When BFE service starts it also start a group of dependent services (you can see them on Dependencies tab in service props) with "IPSec policies agent" service as one of them.
    In my case the problem was that "IPSec policies agent" service was set to auto startup via domain GPO. There also were set default permissions in GPO for this service - SYSTEM - full control, Administrators - Full control, INTERACTIVE - read. I`ve had to turn on object auditing to find out what user account is trying to start BFE. In Security logs i`ve found records saying that sc (service control) is trying to start service under LOCAL SERVICE account!!! As I later understood - BFE could not start itself because it could not start a dependent service IPSec Policies agent. BFE starts IPSec! so, if we look info LOGIN AS tab in BFE service we will find out that it is starting under LOCAL SERVICE account! And in my GPO ipsec service has permissions on it to be started only by SYSTEM and Administratos.
    As you understand, the decision was to modify GPO and to give full control permission to LOCAL SERVICE account on IPSec Policies agent service.
    Now it works!
    Hope This HELPS! And good luck!

From BELARUS

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.