Thread: Looking for reasonable SMB backup solution

Looking for reasonable SMB backup solution

Is there a simple backup solution available for a small network that has 7 Vista system and a SMB. I am looking for a nice way by which I can keep my data secure at different places. I work for media publishing. So we are having a mixed files of text, audio and video. Rightnow the SMB act as a central storage which has 2TB hard drive space in it. I can created a shared partition on the server which is configured as Map Drive on all the systems. Users directly copy paste data in that. I need some help here to create a more appropriate and intact backup solution.

Re: Looking for reasonable SMB backup solution

I think it is better for you to attach a nas drive. That will be more helpful. NAS drives offers you dedicated storage solution with easy setup. NAS comes with 4TB or higher storage space. They do not require any dedicated system. So just try to find out some of the most reasonable NAS drives on the web and attach them to your network.

NAS can be a good solution. But if the data in really important there are different mode of backup process here. I can list you some of the most popular and widely used online backup services. They come with a automated backup software by which your backup lies at two place. One in your hard drive and the second on the web. But for using them you need to buy a monthly subscription service. They are beneficial because they give you a automated process of backup. You do not require to manually set them again and gain. Once it is configured that's all. The job is done here. One of them is Backblaze. This is a online backup solution ideal for small network. Here the cost of using this service is around $5 every month. It offers you to upload unlimited files. There is no size limitation here. It offers you a offline tool through which the process is initiated. Now there is a free option also available. It is Google Drive. Which rightnow offers you 5GB storage space. If you are not having large data size then you can go with the online stuff. It works really well and you just need to drag and drop files in the Google Drive Folder. That's all. I am using this in my office where we only deal with some set of text files. I am using Windows Backup Process and the default location to store the files is Google Drive. The process here is automated.

If you are looking for a desktop based software for data backup then you can look for Acronis. It is one of the widely used software for system recovery and data backup also. It has great features and has a simple UI. Through this you can simply backup files and sync them instantly on your mobile devices also.

Backup solution consist of various things. Today people more trust on cloud storage. And there are ample of services on the web that allows free usage. Google Drive is one of them. Now through Google Drive, you can not only save the files, but also you can play them in the web browser. Like you can edit a spreadsheet or word document or simply create a basic presentation. If you do not require this stuff then there are more options that just gives you plain storage output. NAS is one of the best for LAN storage. But somehow it also relies on the hard drive. A physical damage can cause complete data loss. It is recommended you choose a mixed plan of online and offline storage. For online you can go with services like SOS online backup, SpiderOak and for offline you can increase the internal hard drive or simply add a separate disk. Create a multiple backup plan so that data moves well in different places which add more to the chances of system recovery.

I am using FTP at my office. This is one of the most basic option available for data backup. I am having a FTP server which is working on FreeNAS. The system has 2TB drive. The OS is very light weight and is only recommended to work for taking data backup. Leaving around 20GB aside for OS, the entire space is reserved for backup only.

The backup solution here mostly depends on your requirement. What you are actually looking for. Are you willing to pay for online storage or not. There are many points which are here needed to be considered or else there would be great complications in future. Tools like Cobain Backup, EASEUS Todo Backup and Comodo Backup are some of the free tools available on web that you can use to create a simple backup process. Everything here is stored in the system hard drive itself. And you can then copy them at multiple places. The second option lies with online storage that is mentioned above. Buying a monthly subscription plan for storing files on the web. The backup process is not complicated but it is necessary that you must know how to use it. Some of the top online backup services are SugarSync, Dropbox, Norton Online Backup and OpenDrive. This tools are effectively designed to offer a simple backup process. You can copy the files properly on a cloud interface. SugarSync and Dropbox are the most simplest to use. All kinds of online backup storage comes with a desktop software. You can just install that in your pc and then run the backup. The process goes really well here.

I am using Dropbox. It is really very easy and it as separate mobile applications also. You can simply store those files in dropbox and access them on smartphones or tablet also. Try it. It offers you some free storage on the start. You can first start using it and when required you can go for buying more higher space.