Thread: Poor lan transfer speed on Windows Vista network

Poor lan transfer speed on Windows Vista network

I am having a Vista laptop that has 500GB hard drive on the same. The laptop is having some files which are in 500mb size each. I had shared the file on my office network. Now here other guys are complaining that the transfer speed is too low. I think I am on a high speed network and such file transfer would take around 5 to 10 minutes. But here the issue is different. It is taking a really long time to copy finally. While if I move the file to some other pc which is already on the network the transfer speed is great. There is no issue at all here.

Re: Poor lan transfer speed on Windows Vista network

Try to update your lan drivers. I think due to that you are getting a poor speed. But if you can manage a new driver updates then the problem can be resolved. It is one of the best way to fix the lan problems. I had got the same issue long time ago with my desktop. But as I updated the drivers it was resolved.

I too think issue lies with the drivers and I am sure that after updating the same the issue will be resolved. It is essential that you must simply find the driver updates which you find on the manufacturer's website. What I do here is copy all my files at a central location using a external hard drive. That makes my job a bit easier. When file are located at a central place then job is a bit more easy to share. Second thing you have to check that if the network is having some kind of server configured then verify the file transfer speed quota. Which is something limited due to number of issues. So if you can disable that or simply add your laptop under maximum data usage then that is quiet more than enough to fix the issue. Another issue that lies with the laptop is low lan speed port. You have to check that your have a high speed gigabit port on your laptop or else you cannot do anything here.

Did you tried the wifi transfer speed. I will advice you to simply connect your pc to your office wifi network and then transfer the speed through the same. That will be simply more easier to share the files you are having in your system. Just try that and test back.

There are some minor testing tool which can help you in finding out the exact cause. First lets go with updating drivers. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > right click on the lan adapter. Choose update drivers. Follow the automated way of file transfer which will be a bit more easier for you. If your system is connected to the internet then windows might collect fresh drivers from the web automatically and fix the problem you are facing. This is one of the most simplest way to fix the issue. But if that does not work then the only option left is to download the latest driver edition. Also there is a small tool available on the web called as LAN Speed Test. Just download and install this in your pc. This tool will give you a bit overview of read and write speed on the lan and it works really while. The prediction shown here is simply great.

Try to disable your antivirus or firewall for sometime. I had got that issue due to zone alarm. It is a lan monitoring tool due to which I was facing problem while transfer. When I turned that off the issue was resolved. The speed was better.

If it was a desktop then I would recommend you to go and buy a high speed lan pci card. This is simply more better and allows you to transfer the songs and videos easily through the lan interface. It is simply not a complicated option. Somehow the network speed is affected due to ample of reason. It can be poor drivers or simply a bad lan cable or hub. You have to change that. Change the cable and if that does not work then simply hook the laptop on another hub. That might give out some effect. But if nothing works then just checkout the board specification and see the output of lan interface. Some are 100mbps and some are higher than that. Depending on that you will get speed.