Thread: Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

Need some urgent help from you all. I have a old desktop running with ASUS P5N-SLI motherboard and Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC. I installed Windows Vista on this system and it was working fine from past 4 months. Yesterday the internet stopped working suddenly. After troubleshooting I came to know that my motherboard’s onboard Ethernet stopped working. So I bought a OEM NIC and installed the same.

After doing this my modem is able to detect it, even C link light is illuminated, but don’t know what is wrong with Vista, it says “A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"”

Somebody suggested me to enter BIOS and disable Nvidia LAN controller. I did the same and then Vista was able to recognize the network sort of but was still unable to connect and work properly. I received several error messages asking me to assigning the IP, resetting the router, etc. I did all but none of them worked.

Hope you guys can help me fixing this issue.

Re: Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

Did you update the Realtek RTL8139/810x driver from Windows Update? Can you try a different cable?

Re: Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "LocalArea Connection"

Yep, I already tried updating Realtek Drivers though Device manager was not reporting any thing wrong. A guy on other forum also said that the NIC may look like it is not working if I install the driver from Windows update. It's dated back to 2007, I don't know what they're thinking offering that driver. Any other help please?