Thread: You are currently not connected to any networks

You are currently not connected to any networks

There are total three PCs connected via lan to my Linksys wireless router. Systems are as follows:
    1. Vista Ultimate Desktop
    2. Vista Ultimate Laptop
    3. Windows XP Desktop.

Due to some reason my Vista laptop doesn't seem to think a LAN/switch is a real network. In Network and Sharing center it says “You are currently not connected to any networks” though I’m connected and able to access file sharing from other computers.

I’m not facing any problem accessing network or other pcs, but why it is showing that message in network center? Any idea?

My Vista laptop is running with Intel Core i7, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Gigabit Linksys switch, Norton 2008 firewall.

Re: You are currently not connected to any networks

Most probably the problem would be that Norton Firewall. Any third party firewall will surely create some problem in Network and Sharing Center. As per troubleshooting, I’ll suggest you to boot your Vista laptop in clean mode (Clean Boot) and see if still it is showing the same error.

You are absolutely correct Eduards, even my personally experience says Norton software universally sucks. You should immediately remove it. They are not good for anything. As far as Vista network is concerned, you are surely going to face problems with any third party firewall. Just built-in windows firewall is good for the same. If for some reason you think to install third party firewall then instead of Norton, you can go with Zone Alarm Free or Avast.

I struggled with the 'not connected' for months. I have a Server 2003 domain in the office with a mix of XP and the struggling-to-connect Windows 7 station. It had previously been joined to the domain. I finally looked at the adapter settings and noticed IPv6 was disabled. I clicked that on and was instantly reconnected back to my domain.