Thread: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

I’m using Windows Vista on HP Laptop. It s connected with a router. Sometime i use it wirelessly and some time with Ethernet. There is no problem in Vista performance or Network, but as I’m using static IP address I just want to change my IP. To do the same I clicked Local Area Connection, Properties, and Details. Along with the IP address, it also shows me the option “Client for Microsoft Networks” and waiting for few more minutes, rest of the usual items will appear. Most times they won't.

When they do not appear normally I click on install button which provides me three options (Client, Service, & Protocol) but today no matter which one I choose and click "Add" It gives me the following error: "Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified."

When I highlight the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and try changing IP address, its properties button seems grayed out and wont allow me to click. Now if am not able to get the IP Properties, is there any other way I can change the IP? Thank you in advance.

Hello Jyran, just open command prompt and the run the following command:

net localgroup "Administrators" "Local Service" /add

See what happens.

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

A tad belated but you are making a lot of sense! I've faced this issue;)

You may have been able to solve this problem by now. But for those who are facing this issue (like I did a while back) here's the quick tip -

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
    3. Right-click this subkey, click Export, and then save the selected branch in a file.
    4. Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry. Do not delete the Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed when you restart the computer.
    5. Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the computer.

In my case: I could not install client, service or protocol - additional details/error messages:

Could not add the requested feature. The error is the system cannot find the file specified
    You must install and enable at least one protocol for this connection to work. Do you want to select a protocol now?
    An unexpected error occured. Not all of your requested changes in settings could be made.
    Found new hardware - Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet
    Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
    The system can not find the file specified
    Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it
    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
    could not add the requested feature. The error is:the system cannot find the file specified.

I tried several approaches but nothing worked till I stumbled upon the "fix" mentioned above. By the way I am using VISTA business 32bit!

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

I had the same problem and neorocks solution worked for me.
    In my specific case, I removed Micro Trend PC-cillin and then could not connect to the internet, and could not modify network settings. I tried several other solutions but this was the only one that worked. THANKS!

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
    3. Right-click this subkey, click Export, and then save the selected branch in a file.
    4. Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry. Do not delete the Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed when you restart the computer.
    5. Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the computer.