Thread: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Multiple Network Cards and Networks

I have got a computer that has 2 network cards in it. It has wireless network card that can be used for accessing the wireless adsl router and it is also the primary network interface that I use to connect to the internet. I have got an on board ether NIV as well that I am trying to use as a private network which is connected to a netgear switch that I use as a private network that I plug my laptop into. Now the problem that I am facing is that I am able to set the wireless as a public network so that no sharing occurs and that the ethernet connected to the switch was the internal network. This internal network will be used to access all the internal network resource only. The problem seems to happen in the Network and Sharing center, for the local only network I am not able to change the name or the icons. Also, when I set it to Private, the settings are lost. Can anyone help me with this issue? Thanks

Re: Multiple Network Cards and Networks

You need to check somethings firstly. The 2 networks that you have are on the different subnets that may be manual ip addressing for wired and auto for wireless. There should be no gateway on the wired and the file and printer sharing should be on for the wireed and off for the wireless. The microsoft network client should be on for the wired and off for the wireless. With this setup, hopefully it will allow you to set the Private / Public settings for each network. You will also need to setup manual IP routing for the private network.

If you have multiple network adapters in your computer and you configure a default gateway (which creates a default route in the IP routing table for all destinations that are not located on the subnet) for each adapter, information on your network might not be routed to the correct destinations if you connect to disjoint networks—separate networks that are not designed to communicate directly. More information can be found here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...s-on-a-network