Thread: No internet access while using my VPN connection

No internet access while using my VPN connection

Hello everyone,

The computer I am using, is on a university network, with connection to the internet; I want to have access to my home computer through a VPN. So i have settled up a VPN server at my home running with windows vista, and I connect to it from the university network using my computer which is also running under windows vista.

The problem is that when I connect to the vpn the internet connection with my university doesn't work anymore, although the vpn does. Here is what I get under my network and sharing center:http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...lenetworks.jpg

Can't I have internet and VPN access at the same time? Thanks for helping.
    Last edited by wo0ozy; 20-09-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Re: No internet access while using my VPN connection

According to the situation you posted above, it is clear that it is the “split tunnel” issue. o prevent the new default route from being created, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on the Networking tab for the properties of the VPN connection. Click Properties, and then click Advanced. In Advanced TCP/IP Settings, on the General tab, clear the Use default gateway on remote network check box. You can check this article for complete settings. Apart from these, you will also need to enable TCP/IP forwarding. To do the same, follow the steps provided in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236/en-us

Thanks a lot Sooner Al, it works flawlessly, I knew I was missing something.

Cheers.

PS: for those who are wondering what is the solution, here it is, from microsoft support site.
    To prevent the new default route from being created, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on the Networking tab for the properties of the VPN connection. Click Properties, and then click Advanced. In Advanced TCP/IP Settings, on the General tab, clear the Use default gateway on remote network check box. This is shown in the following figure.

bollocks. didnt work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xab3le View Post
    bollocks. didnt work for me.
    What didnt work for you? Could you please elaborate the problems that you are facing in details? Usually, when you are setting up a new VPN account you can see a checkbox that says forward all traffic from user over VPN. If this is checked all network traffic from the user is forced through the VPN. This is set up on the gateway device, not on the users system.