Thread: Windows Mail / Gmail Folder synchronisation error

I am using Windows Mail on my Vista 32bit laptop. Recently I configured my Gmail account with the same as IMAP. Now the problem am facing is though email can synchronize but it always gives me an error saying:

“Header download for the '[Google Mail]' folder did not complete. Could not select '[Google Mail]' on the IMAP server. You might try refreshing your folder list to synchronize with the IMAP server. Account: 'imap.gmail.com', Server: 'imap.gmail.com', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'Unknown Mailbox: [Google Mail] (Failure)', Port: 993, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCCD2”

I tried verifying all my settings, tried refreshing the folder list, and many more but nothing helped. Does any one here have any idea what is creating this error? Please help.

I have been struggling with this error few weeks ago but managed to get it fixed finally. Here is what I did.

First of all go to Tools, click Account, Right click Google mail account and select its properties. Now click on Server Tab and make sure that “Log on using Secure Password Authentication” is unchecked and “My server requires authentication” box is checked.

Once done, get out of the settings and right click your Google Mail folder and click Synchronize settings. Make it Don’t Synchronize. That’s it. Now as it will not try synchronizing the folders, you wont be getting that error any more.

This is what fixed the same error for me:
    • Make a new label in Gmail and name it the same, “Gmail”.
    • Go to Windows mail and delete the Gmail folder completely.
    • That’s it. Now relax and download your email unobstructed.

Hope it will help.

Re: Windows Mail / Gmail Folder synchronisation error

In Gmail, create a label "Google Mail" (no quotes), or rename the
    existing "Gmail" label (if there is one) to "Google Mail", so that you have two exactly the same corresponding folder names, one in Gmail and the other one in Windows Mail. You might also try to do it the other way round, and rename the relevant folder in Windows Mail so it has the same name as its counterpart in Gmail.