Thread: Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium in my system. I am using Microsoft Office 2003. Now there is some problem with Outlook. When I try to pen .msg and .eml attachment it is not working. I cannot open then at all. I am sure there is no blacklist type thing in Outlook that cause this problem. I need some help to deal with this problem. Thanks.

For that you will need to modify the system registry. Because the settings are located in it. Type regedit in the Start > Search box and hit enter. Then go to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft Internet Mail Message WLMail\shell\open\command. Here at the end type "%1". There will be a complete location of outlook.exe file. Just put that in the end. Reboot your system and then try back. So at the end the settings would be like this - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /eml "%1"

Re: Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

This can be due to security issue of Outlook. The email client has a feature for protecting your system from virus through attachment. You can turn them off and then try back to open those files. For that you have first launch Oultook Express. In that look for Tools and click on Options. You can see a Security tab on the top side. Click on that and look for a Security section. Go under Virus Protection and remove the tick from Do not allow attachments to be saved. It is a huge line. Click on Ok and then restart Outlook express. Now try to open your messages and attachments.

Re: Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003

Some the attachment size cause the problem. In Outlook there is a setting available through which it can restrict the size of attachment. If it is over that, it will not open it or avoid downloading the same. You turn this thing off so that Outlook can download more bigger size attachments. For that you have to go in Tools > Options. In that you can see Mail Delivery. Remove the tick from Don't download messages large than and exit Outlook. Then turn it on back and then test back. This will be enough to fix the problem you are facing.