Thread: Reinstall Windows Mail

Reinstall Windows Mail

Am using Windows Vista 32bit and have configured windows mail for pop3 accounts. Due to some reason I need to re-install WM again. As it is the built-in component of Vista, i remember that I use to re-install IE using inf file in XP. I searched the same for Windows Mail in Vista but dint got it anywhere under C:\Windows\inf.

So can you guys please tell me how can I re-install WM in Vista? Is it possible or not?

Re: Reinstall Windows Mail

I think you should try to regenerate the Windows Mail’s structure again. You can do this by simply deleting the C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local|Microsoft\Windows Mail directory.

But if you just want to re-install it, then there is no way to do it unless your re-install your entire Operating system (Vista).

Yeah, that’s the only way for what you want to do. If you are afraid of losing your messages, you can just backup the same or simply cut/paste the windows mail directory from its original location to somewhere else and rename it. Now next time when you will start Windows Mail again, it will be completely new for you. Later you can pull you messages (drag and drop) from old folder to the newly created one.

Well system restore is not the only alternative for the same. If you are really not concerned of losing any data by re-installing vista then you can simply go and restore your system to the very first restore point you see (that usually created when you finish installing vista).

Alternatively I can suggest you to go for Mozilla Thunderbird. Its very light, simple and effective email client.