Thread: MAPI error when attempting to import Outlook pst file to Windows Mail

MAPI error when attempting to import Outlook pst file to Windows Mail

I just did a fresh install of Windows Vista on one of my desktops. Also configured Windows mail. Earlier I was using Windows XP with Outlook and have its backup in .pst files. But when I try to import this PST files to my newly set up windows mail by going to File > Import > Messages > Microsoft Outlook, it gives me the following error message:

"Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred."

I tried to search any similar threads but dint got any. Can someone please provide fix for this. Thanks in advance.

Even I am facing the same error message. I went through several pages on internet and everywhere I found the same thing that says I need to install Outlook to get the error fixed, though I have Outlook 2007 INSTALLED on my computer. Now what? Do I need to re-install outlook again? Doesn’t sound sensible.

Re: MAPI error when attempting to import Outlook pst file to Windows Mail

I guess you might have configured Outlook Express as the default MAPI client. Anyway, am not sure but you can try changing the MAPI Settings or reinstall your outlook. Hope this will solve the error.

Other thing that I doubt is your backup (pst file)might have corrupted. So just try repairing the pst files. Or alternatively I can suggest you import that PSt fiel in Outlook Express and create a new backup in dbx file. Because Windows mail can read dbx but not pst. Once you got everything in dbx you can easily import that file in windows mail.

The better option I think is to repair your PST files because even I think the pst files have got corrupted. There is tool named Advanced Outlook Repair that repairs the pst files easily. It also helps you to recover messages, folders etc from corrupted Outlook PST files. Just google it for download link.