Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: What is this error: "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon."

Re: What is this error: "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon."

I am using Windows 7. I have the same error. I never logged on to a domain though. There are no entries in the profile list that I can identify as users. I have two "Default" listings. I previously deleted the ntuser.dat file and then recovered it from the recycle bin, but I was being told that I was signed on with a temporary profile. Windows did a repair after I tried to load a Registry BU. (I think the BU was for a different version of Windows) I can log on with the "Administrator" account, but my other account gives my the Group Policy Client Services error.
    Last edited by carib909; 06-08-2011 at 05:31 AM.

In my case I had faced the same error. Some days ago there was a similar error saying Failed to logon the User Profile Service service. Anyhow in safe mode I had tried to follow some troubleshooting. I had run system restore and after regular boot the things went back to work. The error seems to be the user profile which was not able to load up properly. System restore allows to set back your old settings.

I have a similar problem with Vista. The odd thing to me is that when I boot up in safe mode, I can get into this user account and if it was corrupt I would suspect that I would not be able to. Can someone please help me with this?

Quote Originally Posted by pldowling View Post
    I have a similar problem with Vista. The odd thing to me is that when I boot up in safe mode, I can get into this user account and if it was corrupt I would suspect that I would not be able to. Can someone please help me with this?
    I cannot understand how were able to login in that account in safe mode but to fix this issue is to recreate the profile or restore the ntuser.dat from the back up. Check all the suggestions given in similar kind of threads as well:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/708579.htm
    http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1045560.htm

Yes what I am saying is that my issue is slightly different because I can log into the account that I get this error message in safe mode but not in regular mode. I know that sounds odd, but that is what is happening and I didn't restore any files etc. Has anyone experienced this besides me and how do I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by pldowling View Post
    Yes what I am saying is that my issue is slightly different because I can log into the account that I get this error message in safe mode but not in regular mode. I know that sounds odd, but that is what is happening and I didn't restore any files etc. Has anyone experienced this besides me and how do I fix it?
    It could be a corrupted account that you may need to repair. If you tried to log on to Windows and received an error message telling you that your user profile might be corrupted, you can try to repair it. You will need to create a new profile, and then copy the files from the existing profile to the new one.

BUT, if it was corrupt would I even be able to get into that account if I log in with safe mode? I can get into this account in safe mode.

Hi! I've got exactly the same problem, can not log in in ordinary mode but in safety mode it works. Any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by trondlo View Post
    Hi! I've got exactly the same problem, can not log in in ordinary mode but in safety mode it works. Any solutions?
    It may be that your user profile might be corrupted. You may need to create her another account. To create a new profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile will also be created.
    1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
    2. Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click Create a new account.
    4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

hello i really need help hear all off my work is on the user that is not working and i need to get it to be honest i need a detailed way of sorting it out i really need help i read everything hear but to be honest i did not understand any thing plz reply bak on how i can sort this out thanx so much .......

Re: The Group Policy Client service failed the logon

The issue on my system (Vista sp2) was caused by a damaged windir environment variable.
    Since the Group Policy Client service (gpsvc) ImagePath is %windir%\system32\svchost.exe -k GPSvcGroup, it was unable to start.
    Other services started fine because they use another variable, %SystemRoot% instead of %windir%.

The fix: boot into safe mode, regedit, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment,
    set windir to the right value (C:\Windows), reboot.
    After/if the issues are gone, you can try setting windir back to its default value %SystemRoot%.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34