Thread: Can't delete message from folder Inbox

Can't delete message from folder Inbox

I am running Windows Vista on my machine and if I am trying to delete any emails in Windows Mail then it gives me a message saying that "An unknown error has occurred". I am not able to understand why I am not able to delete or copy or move the mails? Is there anyone who can tell me a workaround to fix this issue?

You can try to repair the message store by going to the location WindowsMail.MSMessageStore using a command prompt, to do that follow the below instructions:

1. First of all click on start icon in the Task Bar.
    2. After that under the "All Programs" menu option there is a "Start Search" field, type in the word "Command".
    3. Now you can see that a command prompt window should appear.
    4. After that you have to type "cd AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail"
    5. If you want to repair the message store type "esentutl /p WindowsMail.MSMessageStore"
    6. With the above command the message store will be repaired and the problem should go away.

Incase if you are getting some error message like "JET_errFileAccessDenied" then it simply means that Windows Mail is still running and you will have to end its process by going into Task Manager.

You can also try to download and install a Vista update that may resolve this problem. There are two download packages available: one for the 32-bit version of Vista and one for the 64-bit version. Download the appropriate package and install the update on your computer. If you not know which version of Vista you are running, see the "Determine which version of Vista you are running" section by going to this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941090/en-us