Thread: Getting 0x8000ffff error when I try to install Windows Live messenger

Getting 0x8000ffff error when I try to install Windows Live messenger

Whenever I try to run setup of Windows Live I am getting error 0x8000ffff. I am not able to run the setup. I need some help to run the installation. I am using a Vista PC and I had seen that Windows Live 8.1 supports it. Anyone is able to install that.

The issue is related to Office version installed in your system. There are some component which are either very old or missing. That is the reason you are getting that error. Now to fix the issue you have to download complete setup of Windows Live Messenger. It will come with all needed component.

I finally got rid of BETA!!

im totally happy to finally get rid of windows live beta from my computer. the thing had super-glued itself to my system and i spent weeks and weeks trying to remove it. thanks jonathan.

but sadly, i too developed this miserable catastrophic failure error when i tried to install windows live again. the funny thing is, i was able to install beta again, but not the earlier version! why was that?

anyways, i was able to thankfully thankfully install windows live messenger again from its MSI link provided above. u can say im able to breathe again! :)

what i actually wanted to ask was, is it only messenger that i can download like this? i would really like to get windows live mail too. if anybody knows a way, im all ears!

omg I cannot believe i figured this one out. I have searched everywhere for the mysterious Catastrophic Error 0x8000ffff and as you said Jonathan basically its trying to load a componant that is no longer available, however i tried installing messenger as you suggested but got the 'A more recent version of Windows live exists blah blah blah'

I then stumbled upon this tool the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301

You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Worked Great i removed the info that Windows Installer assumed was there and was able to proceed with my installation with no Catastrophic failure.

There's 3 hours of my life i won't get back but hopefully this will help someone else.

I have found a solution.
    I had the windows live beta installed on my pc but then crashed when it forced me to install an update version which corrupted the installation files.

I tryed to manually uninstall windows live beta from control panel and then tryed to install the normal windows live messenger on http://messenger.msn.co.uk but then was receiving the same error code.

I then go to control panel and then saw Windows Live Programs (beta)
    i select that but then does not recconize i got any windows live messenger installed. So i try to install windows live beta again. It worked. but then as for having problems with it i didnt like it, i go to that same program on the controll panel and un selected everything that was install to un install.

It removed all the windows live beta features it had on my pc and tryed once again to install the normal windows live messenger and it work with no error code and is now working fine

Have Windows XP - with Updated SP 3 - Office 2007 with all up to date. Have tried many times to sync MS Outlook with my Hotmail - Message comes up - "Calendar contains corrupt Data that is forcing MS Outlook to close - 0x8000FFFF" After many attempts gave up on the Option of using Outlook for my Emails as I used to do in my previous Company Supplied PC and Support.

Recently tried again with Windows Live Mail. Today 13/07/10 succeeded in getting WLV synced with my Hotmail. Took 3/4 hours Then when I rebooted the same "0x8000FFFF" message came up when opened WLM. On two occasions the WLM opened - but then crashed. Then using the "0x8000FFFF" as Web search came to this Web. Have deleted my existing Windows Live Essential + Live Sync and Upload Tool. Downloaded from V3.co.uk Windows Live Suite 2009. Still cannot open Windows Live Mail and the same "Calendar contains corrupt Data that is forcing MS Outlook to close - 0x8000FFFF"