Thread: Stuck in update loop

Bhodie Guest

Stuck in update loop

I have Windows Vista Ultimate on an HP DV8000 laptop.. today it did an auto
    download of updates and went through the procedure of shutting down and
    restarting the computer. Now, it is stuck on "Configuring Updates - Part 3
    of 3 0 of 0% complete. There is drive activity, then it reboots.

I have tried every safe mode, last known good config, etc. but as soon as it
    boots it goes to that screen.. I cannot get to a prompt.. nada.. this is
    driving me crazy.

Any help? Thanks!

LeonD Guest
    I have EXACTLY the same problem, HELP!

Evidently from other posts, this is a big thing right now. The only fix I
    have found is to boot to the Vista install disk, and choose ther "Repair"
    option and restore the system to a point before the updates occured (2-14?
    2-15?) and then TURN OFF the darn automatic update function...

Same problem today with Windows Vista Home Premium on Sony Vaio laptop.
    Waiting for possible fixes.

VRMIO Guest

RE: Stuck in update loop

Stuck in update loop FIX!!!!

THIS IS IF YOU HAVE NO RESTORE POINTS OR RESTORE POINTS FAIL!!!!

• Start your computer and continuously press F8 till you get to a menu (This has to be done before the Vista loading comes up) and run "Repair Your Computer" From the menu

• When the Computer Repair Loads you will have several options to choose from, choose the “Command Prompt” Option from the list.

• Now in the command prompt windows type this:
    o cd C:\
    o cd C:\Windows\winsxs
    o del pending.xml

Note:
    We are changing our directory (cd) to the root drive first just to make sure that we are in the right place. However, if your boot drive is not C:\ please change it to the appropriate letter pertaining to the drive in which your Vista Boots. (ex. cd D:\ ||| cd D:\Windows\winsxs)

Sincerely,
    Richard Paulicelli
    richardpaulicelli@yahoo.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails repair-your-computer-jpg   vista-recovery-options-png   delete-pending-cmd-png  

Re: Stuck in update loop

Excellent, thank you! This fixed the problem perfectly!

after i get to the last step of this, it tells me "could not find C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml"
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jat1990 View Post
    after i get to the last step of this, it tells me "could not find C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml"
    ?
    Which operating system have you installed in your pc/laptop? From admin command prompt can you type:

net stop wuauserv and net stop cryptsvc

And then proceed to the next steps as described.

Thank you so much for this. It worked. One question: Now that I deleted this pending file do I have to worry about it again? Will it happen again if I restart the computer or is that file and problem now permanently gone?

I have a HP Touchsmart and I am having the same problem. I brought that pc (along with my laptop) down to my home in Nicaragua for my 3 month vacation to use as my TV, stereo, picture viewer etc. I do not know what happened but it is stuck on configuring update 3 of 3 and is at 0%. I do not have a keyboard so I have no way of accessing the bios or starting in safe mode. I also do not have any discs to restore with. Anyone have any ideas, i have my laptop and a 16 gig flash with me

My computer has the exact same problem.

However, once i get into command prompt instead of opening in the C Drive (C:\) says ""X:\windows\system32>""

I have tried the method you describe in the post exchanging the C for and X but once i input ""del pending.xml"" it says ""could not find X:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml""

Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem. On the original System recovery options page it says

"Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista on (C:) Local Disk" if that helps at all

Quote Originally Posted by Shifter14 View Post
    My computer has the exact same problem.

However, once i get into command prompt instead of opening in the C Drive (C:\) says ""X:\windows\system32>""

I have tried the method you describe in the post exchanging the C for and X but once i input ""del pending.xml"" it says ""could not find X:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml""

Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem. On the original System recovery options page it says

"Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista on (C:) Local Disk" if that helps at all
    Can you try to run SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=[C]:\ /OFFWINDIR=[C]:\WINDOWS combined with removing/renaming [C]:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\PENDING.XML and see if the problem resolves to getting SFC to run properly. You must also remove/rename the windows\winsxs\pending.xml from the hard-drive you are attempting to repair, not the virtual drive X: that the Repair Process tends to run off of

Re: Stuck in update loop FIX!!!!

Thank you, It worked for me but now I am not sure what to do next,

I was able to login normally but I had some few error messages:

1.-qupdate.exe unable to locate component

2.-Inet Clnt.dll was not found re-install the application to fix the problem

3.- quickbooks update has stopped working

Would you help me please?
    Thank you
    Lily

1.-qupdate.exe unable to locate component

This error appear when Windows failed to locate iertutil.dll. To fix this you will need to re-install Internet Explorer or upgrade it. You can do that from Control Panel. Remove the old one and download the more recent version of Internet Explorer and Install it.

2.-Inet Clnt.dll was not found re-install the application to fix the problem

This is a another dll missing error. This file is associated to Internet Client component which help Windows to access internet security. There are two ways to fix this. First by running sfc /scannow and inserting Windows disc when prompted. Second downloading inetclnt.dll file from net and copy pasting it in system32 folder.

3.- quickbooks update has stopped working

This error can be fixed by Intuit or re-installing QuickBooks2006 on the client system. Try to find the setup of the same.